Twin Red Sea Reefer 1000 build (freshwater)

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I haven’t seeded yet, and no auto drip at this time. The one main difference is the water being used to fill is off of my house softener/filter which the other tanks are not currently on (I fill those from a sink in the garage which is pre-softener)

I drove into the city today and going to drop by the aquarium store, see what they have for filter socks with a tighter mesh. Beyond that I’m not sure what to do.
Always somethin… hope its an easy fix for ya ??… i run 7”x16” and 7”x30” 100-200 microns from “utah bio diesel supply”. Check em out for the future. Bulk and affordable. I think they go down to 50 micron.

Nate B

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2015
H harrisonsaid I know this thread is a little old but would love an update. If I understood correctly one tank was going to have filter socks and the other the filter roller. I'd be interested in how each worked out and which you like better. I like the idea of the automatic roller mat's longer maintenance interval and don't mind the initial price difference but not so sure how the ongoing cost will be on repeatedly buying rolls on tanks & especially with large messy fish.

Would really like to see what these tanks look like if you get a chance to update.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

harrisonsaid

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2022
H harrisonsaid I know this thread is a little old but would love an update. If I understood correctly one tank was going to have filter socks and the other the filter roller. I'd be interested in how each worked out and which you like better. I like the idea of the automatic roller mat's longer maintenance interval and don't mind the initial price difference but not so sure how the ongoing cost will be on repeatedly buying rolls on tanks & especially with large messy fish.

Would really like to see what these tanks look like if you get a chance to update.
Thanks for the ping!

Life kind of hit me hard right in the middle of this project and I haven't finished everything, but I did make some progress and solved some interesting problems. I will try to get some pictures and add them to the thread later, but for now I hope a text update will be okay.

Looks like my last update was shortly after I added substrate. It took a few weeks and lots of filter cleaning, but eventually everything did settle down and water cleared up nicely. I added fish about a month after filling. I moved all of my geophagus (minus 6 redheads) over to one tank along with congo tetra, columbian tetra, severums, some pictus catfish, SAE, angels, and a few others I'm forgetting. Basically a peaceful group of color fish that's been great to just watch. The second tank I went with a mix of central/south american cichlids that are a bit more aggressive. I did the 6 redheads for substrate cleaning, a dozen spotted silver dollars for dither fish, and then herichthys carpintis, a few veija variants, and some texas cichlids. Surprisingly I ended up with a breeding pair of vieja (not the same type so hybrid spawn) and I see a lot of eggs in the tank.

Life hit pretty hard with a new job, lots of travel, and generally a lot less time for hobbies so the tanks mostly look the same as before. I still haven't even put the doors on the second stand. I never automated the water fill, opting for a simple continuous drip for fresh water which is overflowing through the sump. This also keeps the return section from running dry due to evaporation.

Filtration was a huge issue for me for months and months. I started with both tanks on filter socks, which were constantly clogging and a huge pain to clean well. Every time you'd remove them from the tank a huge amount of detritus would dislodge and cloud the tank for a few hours. When I'd travel I would come home to the socks overflowing and not filtering. I eventually installed one of the roller filters, and as expected the mat advance sensors didn't work in freshwater but I didn't realized how often it would need to advance. I quickly realized that it was likely worse than the filter socks since they needed manual intervention every few hours.

I spent a decent amount of time trying to work out how the water sensor for the reefmat 1200 worked. They claimed it was a "conductivity" sensor that used the salinity of the water to advance the filter, and after reaching out to Red Sea multiple times they refused to give me any information. Eventually I worked out how to trigger the filter advance, temporarily wired it up with some test leads, and I finally had a tank with a fully working roller filter. I converted the second tank shortly after and that really made a huge impact to the amount of time the tanks required from me. Now all that's required is feeding (I have auto feeders but don't use them...forcing myself to take a break and go into the fish room every day helps keep an eye on things), all filtration/water changes are "automatic" and need to intervention. Once the water was fully polished, I go through a filter roll every month or so.

My test lead solution was pretty messy, so that sent me on a long journey to find the exact connector used by Red Sea to connect their sensor to the control box. I had almost given up when a random discord conversation with someone who had experience with this sort of thing gave me the direction I needed. He found the company, and since he spoke mandarin was able to confirm some details and help me submit an order. I designed and 3d printed a mount for a traditional float sensor as well. I ended up ordering the parts to make 10 kits...I'm not sure if I will go through with it but I'm wondering if there's some people out there who would like a reefmat on their freshwater tank, and this is a big barrier to that working.

I realized I have some pictures on my phone, so I will add some in below. Sorry for the word salad...I had a lot of thoughts built up and they might not have come out in a very organized way. I will try to revisit tonight or tomorrow and add clarity where needed!

1683059872155.png

1683059886206.png

1683059904826.png

1683059954337.png

1683059992740.png

1683060017496.png

1683060034780.png

1683060077522.png

1683060114532.png

harrisonsaid

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2022
I have some videos of the tanks that do a better job showing all the fish, I will find a way to host those later and post!

Reactions: Taimen

constantin

Feeder Fish
Aug 23, 2024
The setup looks neat, any updates on how it is going?
> I'm wondering if there's some people out there who would like a reefmat on their freshwater tank, and this is a big barrier to that working.
I am running into the same issue setting up a freshwater tank reefmat, and unfortunately RedSea is not willing to help any. Would you mind sharing more details on how you built the freshwater sensor? It would be very helpful!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store