Update on my KK

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yes, Happy Farms fish are very pricey. Also, only a "percentage" will grow out to be show quality specimens. Many don't even achieve decent color, and remain very washed out as they mature. No doubt the cream of the crop remain in Taiwan, and/or go to other premier customers in SE Asia. Most of the ones that I've seen in NA don't look so hot.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
They are sometimes imported by various LFS, but as I just stated, most of the ones I see look like the bottom of the barrel specimens. They are also priced in the $200-300 range.

For more info, google is your friend.

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
Oregon, it's part of 'Murica!
RD.;4619794; said:
They are sometimes imported by various LFS, but as I just stated, most of the ones I see look like the bottom of the barrel specimens. They are also priced in the $200-300 range.

For more info, google is your friend.
Google suck when it comes to flowerhorn and rare fish, you end up on some jackass's site where they are claiming flowerhorn aren't fish and blood parrots were created with severums.

FishingOut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
PA
So your fish look exactly the same with white gravel and cool blue antic lights, as they do with black substrate and warm yellow lights? Anybody with vision can see and obvious change in appearance. I never said black is "bad". I said its probably a rumor in my previous post.

Do you not get what I mean by contrast and highlighting certain features in certain fish? Its the same reason Petsmart/Petco uses blue backrounds, For the contrast. Most members on here use black for a more natural look, rather than to effect the color of their fish. If I had a big blue Carpintis it would look much better in a black tank than blue, for good contrast. My pink Fenestratus looks much more vibrant in a blue tank with blue gravel than he did in my black backround tank with white sand. I dont need to own 100's of fish to know this.

Honestly Im not a huge supported of backround colors anyway. Im not painting, and backrounds dont fit on my oceanic tanks with FH and they look fine. They might be a bit washed out from bright lights, light sand, and a green wall behind them. A quality fish is going to look quality in any setting, its personal preference, Like what we were saying in the other thread.
AHHHHH I WOULD LOVEEEEE TO OWN FEMALE HAPPY MAMMON! Some day.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
So your fish look exactly the same with white gravel and cool blue antic lights, as they do with black substrate and warm yellow lights?
Nope, I have never once said that, quite the opposite.

Most members on here use black for a more natural look, rather than to effect the color of their fish.
We will have to agree to disagree on that note, as IME the vast majority of people who use a black backgrounds in aquariums do so for the effect that it has on the color of their fish, not because black is more natural looking, than blue, green, tan, etc.

Honestly Im not a huge supported of backround colors anyway. Im not painting, and backrounds dont fit on my oceanic tanks with FH and they look fine. They might be a bit washed out from bright lights, light sand, and a green wall behind them.
I agree, in the pics I have seen of your 2 tanks the fish do appear to be washed out, and IMO would look much better with a darker substrate, and a black background. :)

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364035

So I do agree with you when you state:
But environment does have an impact on coloration. Just like any other cichlid they will match their surroundings.
Darker tones in substrate & background helps intensify most colors, including blue, red, yellow, orange, where bright lights over light/white substrate, and a light background, will cause some fish to appear somewhat washed out.

My pink Fenestratus looks much more vibrant in a blue tank with blue gravel than he did in my black backround tank with white sand. I dont need to own 100's of fish to know this.
You mean these little guys?

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359898

The background color wasn't your problem, your "white" sand was the problem. Take a look at Mo's photo in the following link, that male has every color in the rainbow - and I don't see any color being "washed out" by the dark background.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286152&page=2

Having lost count how many large adult male CA cichlids I've seen in tanks with a black background, this doesn't come as any surprise to me. Black backgrounds DO NOT wash out color in a fish, if anytihng it intensifies the color, even in very light colored cichlids such as V. argentea.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/vieja%20argentea/miguel_brass/1bWhtFishA.jpg

And you're right, it does all boil down to personal preference.

My only issue with this entire topic is that many FH keepers have never even experimented with various backgrounds, substrate, or even lighting combos, yet they keep repeating the same old same old, just because way back when someome somewhere decided that black backgrounds & FH don't mix. Some of the finest male CA cichlids that I have ever seen are swimming around in tanks with black backgrounds, and their colors & the overall contrast is amazing.

BTW - I agree that Petsmart uses blue backgrounds for contrast (they sell a lot of different species of fish) AND they use that color because it gives & bright clean look to their tanks. Many other LFS use black, including some of the big box stores such as Petland (at least here in Canada) for the same reason that I do. :)

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Wowsers, those are indeed some impressive photos, and fish.
Thanks for the link, that's my kinda tank.

FishingOut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
PA
RD.;4619773; said:
Yes, Happy Farms fish are very pricey. Also, only a "percentage" will grow out to be show quality specimens. Many don't even achieve decent color, and remain very washed out as they mature. No doubt the cream of the crop remain in Taiwan, and/or go to other premier customers in SE Asia. Most of the ones that I've seen in NA don't look so hot.
Because they arnt real mammons. If it isnt chipped and certed, More than likely its a KKP. Mr. Wang of Happy Breed hand selects each mammon/ignot because there a certain specifications to be called mammon. They are only sold at a bigger size as well. Last time I heard they were $300 shipped.
The rest are KKP distributed wherever and Happy Breed has no shortage.

photo02big.gif

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store