USPS LIVE FISH

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I just called Fedex they said they didn't ship live fish? I called another location said the same exact thing....
Probably, you don't have the account with them.
Most online sellers using Fedex/UPS overnight for live stock.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Not sure what the hell is going on. Called USPS and I did ask them before they said no fish allowed.

Airport thing is too costly I checked for my costumer who wants it. I'd rather do airport but he won't agree on the pricing min is 60$.

Like a business account?

This is why I ask because now I'm getting nowhere with the shipping. All my friends who sold fish just told me don't tell them anything just pack it well and overnight only.

I'm kind of pissed off all these places are telling me no.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Just got off the phone with Fedex costumer service they said they never allow live fish for transport and its always been in place. Called a few more locations near me they all said no but one lady told me that just don't say anything bring it in write fragile on it and you'll be fine.

WTH is going on here. lol

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
I've received fish from usps and fed ex multiple times no problem( including this am ). Not sure what their talking about lol
Nonsense. Jeff Rapps uses FedEx.
I know not even sure what they heck is going on. I called even corporate and said the same thing no FISH. I told her I have gotten packages from fedex that had live fish and she goes well thats not us lol

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Not sure what the hell is going on. Called USPS and I did ask them before they said no fish allowed.

Airport thing is too costly I checked for my costumer who wants it. I'd rather do airport but he won't agree on the pricing min is 60$.

Like a business account?

This is why I ask because now I'm getting nowhere with the shipping. All my friends who sold fish just told me don't tell them anything just pack it well and overnight only.

I'm kind of pissed off all these places are telling me no.

I've been told by so many USPS employees that live fish are a prohibited item, which they are not. They just need to be packaged correctly with absorbent material etc. I always disclose that they are live fish though. Just ask to speak to a supervisor, if they give you a hard time or ask them to point out where(the fish) are listed as prohibited.

Texas321

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
I've got fish multiple times with usps,FedEx and ups but haven't ever shipped any. All boxes clearly state "fragile live fish". Not sure why they are telling you that. Also be careful if shipping to any hot areas. Ups and fedex are usually more reliable but with usps I always get my deliveries about 11am. Couple months back I got a order and it got here in over night but sat on ups truck all day and the fish were doa because of the heat. Just my luck I was probably his last delivery.

Reactions: tlindsey

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
I've had experiences with reps from all three major carriers turning me away when I try to ship fish. And, of course, all three major carriers ship thousands of boxes of fish per day.

Best thing to do is to call the customer support line and get them to give you the information that you need to convince the people at your local store that it's OK to ship fish...and go to the place where you're going to ship ahead of time and explain the situation. Then when you show up with fish, everything's covered.

I've actually had the best luck with USPS - best rates, the local branch knows me and doesn't make me jump through hoops, holds fish for pick up and calls me, etc.

I will never ship with UPS again. They made the decision to lose my business for life when they chose to let a box of fish sit in a container at their distribution center 20 mins from my house over a long weekend vs. letting me go there and get it. I gave them the choice and they chose lose me for life.

Fedex is expensive but has the best tracking. My local branch, oddly enough, doesn't hassle me picking up live fish...but - depending on who's working - does with shipping fish out.

This is all a PITA, which is why I really don't ship fish anymore :)

Matt

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Again I called every costumer service and they all said nope. I contacted delta and got a price quote of 63$ and told the costumer fedex won't be that much cheaper and he agreed.

That pisses me off rather just go to a FedEx or USPS minutes from me and send it off.

I even told the FedEx and ups guys it's on the website it's allowed and the guys said nope this specific store won't do it.... Oh well delta here I come.

Texas321

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Just package it up really well and put fragil on it and take it to ups or fedex and overnight it. Let you're buyer know you are shipping it to ups store or fedex location so he can pick it up and put a note "hold for pick up". My ups charges 12 dollars to hold and pick up not sure about fedex.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Just package it up really well and put fragil on it and take it to ups or fedex and overnight it. Let you're buyer know you are shipping it to ups store or fedex location so he can pick it up and put a note "hold for pick up". My ups charges 12 dollars to hold and pick up not sure about fedex.
I think it's best to keep my mouth shut and just ship it. Airport is probably what I'm going to do just because the chances for the fish to be alive is a high chance since its first time shipping for me.

I got the box everything all the bags. Everyone I know who ships use tank water to shop and not bag buddies or something they add like meth blue.

What do you guys do?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store