USPS LIVE FISH

Texas321

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
I think it's best to keep my mouth shut and just ship it. Airport is probably what I'm going to do just because the chances for the fish to be alive is a high chance since its first time shipping for me.

I got the box everything all the bags. Everyone I know who ships use tank water to shop and not bag buddies or something they add like meth blue.

What do you guys do?
That's what I would do. It doesn't really matter if they know it's fish or not. Once it leaves that facility it probably changes hands once or twice so nobody is going to know anyway. Just pack it good and make it known its fragile and you should be good to go. I would think tank water to bag it but I'm not sure. Couple of times the shipper said it was just tank water and oxygen.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have shipped fish many times with USPS, I take them to my local post office, weigh and send them off. I have never hid what was inside, and after a while, they came to know me, and got used to it. I have also received fish through the same post office in Milwaukee without a problem.
The thing I like most, is if they guarantee a shipment by 10:00Am, and it arrives even a few hours late, I get shipping cost reimbursed, FedX would not do that for me.
I have received fish airport to airport in Milwaukee using South West, minimum was $60 for up to many pounds, so if you are receiving or shipping a large amount its work it.
There is also a company called SpeeDee delivery that ships in selected states in the midwest over 24 hours for a very reasonable rate. Most of the places I have shipped with them to Minnesota, Iowa, and St Louis from Milwaukee only ran <$25. They also ship from the Chicago area. And pick up the package at your door for that price.

Fatlungy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2011
Reading, Pennsylvania
If the USPS lose your fish even with insurance it's a huge hassle to get your money. They probably won't return your money if you didn't tell them it was fish. I needed paypal transactions, proof of value from other sources and statements from the buyer it took me over a month to get the loot.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Don't use tank water. Use dechlorinated tap. Tank water has nitrates. Also, best to fast the fish for 3-4 days prior. Or larger for big fish even longer. If you can add O2 to the bag, even better. I add a small piece of polyfilter (chemical filter media) to each bag to absorb waste.

Matt

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
I have shipped fish many times with USPS, I take them to my local post office, weigh and send them off. I have never hid what was inside, and after a while, they came to know me, and got used to it. I have also received fish through the same post office in Milwaukee without a problem.
The thing I like most, is if they guarantee a shipment by 10:00Am, and it arrives even a few hours late, I get shipping cost reimbursed, FedX would not do that for me.
I have received fish airport to airport in Milwaukee using South West, minimum was $60 for up to many pounds, so if you are receiving or shipping a large amount its work it.
There is also a company called SpeeDee delivery that ships in selected states in the midwest over 24 hours for a very reasonable rate. Most of the places I have shipped with them to Minnesota, Iowa, and St Louis from Milwaukee only ran <$25. They also ship from the Chicago area. And pick up the package at your door for that price.
I didn't check with USPS but I did today and they were very professional and nice and even told me what time to bring it in so it doesn't sit. I called UPS one location said yeah we can do it its going to be 101$. Thats way too much I know hes willing to spend on shipping.

Monday I will be shipping them out using USPS. They might not give me back my money if they're dead but all I know is that if it doesn't come in on time I get my money back. This has happened to me when I shipped other things and got my money back.

Whats the normal rate overnight shipping? I have to call them again and get a price quote with weight. I am assuming it should be around 60ish dollars. Chicago to Dallas.

Texas321

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
I didn't check with USPS but I did today and they were very professional and nice and even told me what time to bring it in so it doesn't sit. I called UPS one location said yeah we can do it its going to be 101$. Thats way too much I know hes willing to spend on shipping.

Monday I will be shipping them out using USPS. They might not give me back my money if they're dead but all I know is that if it doesn't come in on time I get my money back. This has happened to me when I shipped other things and got my money back.

Whats the normal rate overnight shipping? I have to call them again and get a price quote with weight. I am assuming it should be around 60ish dollars. Chicago to Dallas.
100 does seem like a lot. I got fish from Ohio to Texas ups for 40 dollars.

Reactions: Ihsnshaik

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Cost all depends on weight, and destination.
When I ship I use only a small amount of water, just enough tp entirely cover the fish, but make sure there is enough air trapped in the bag. Oxygen is more important than water volume. I also use 48 hour heat packs during col d weather.
Most of my fish end up in boxes under 10lbs, and the cost to ship is between $50-$60 with USPS, depending on destination.
And as far as being late, most packages whether USPS or other shippers end up on the same planes, so if there is bad weather, all planes to that destination are late, so no company gives better service than another.
I always include a phone number on the box, with instructions to call the receiver upon arrival at the local post office.
And when I receive fish, I take the day off, and go pick them up myself when they arrive at the post office, saves them driving around in a hot, or cold truck all day.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Cost all depends on weight, and destination.
When I ship I use only a small amount of water, just enough tp entirely cover the fish, but make sure there is enough air trapped in the bag. Oxygen is more important than water volume. I also use 48 hour heat packs during col d weather.
Most of my fish end up in boxes under 10lbs, and the cost to ship is between $50-$60 with USPS, depending on destination.
And as far as being late, most packages whether USPS or other shippers end up on the same planes, so if there is bad weather, all planes to that destination are late, so no company gives better service than another.
I always include a phone number on the box, with instructions to call the receiver upon arrival at the local post office.
And when I receive fish, I take the day off, and go pick them up myself when they arrive at the post office, saves them driving around in a hot, or cold truck all day.
Thank you so much. I've shipped hundreds of items but never fish so it's new to me. I already have a bucket that I dosed with prime and letting the chlorine evaporate. Should I add meth blue to the bags?

I'm going to the post office today to get the large priority boxes so I can use those to send it overnight haha I'll tape it all up and cover it up and out live fish this side up.

The box I have currently is too big and will cut the styrofoam according the the new box.

Not sure who's going to be more stressed out me or the fish during transport lol

The receiver said he wants it to his door step now and not have to pick it up but should be fine regardless.

Fish are 2" each and one 3".

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
You might be surprised how much space a bag with a lot of mostly air takes, and if the box is large you can use newspaper of styro-nuts to provide tight packing.
Fish (cichlids?)in the 2-3" range, will probably have prominent spines already, I sometimes wrap their bags in duct tape, and one to a bag.

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Weather and its effect on plane schedules is hardly the only factor in quality of service. In my experience, and I get many packages delivered to my house (ask my wife), USPS is the service that is the most likely to crush, lose, delay or otherwise f-up your package.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store