Vampire Pleco

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
What does that mean... is that the vampire family?
Leporacanthicus is, the I guess the technical term is genera not family, that all of the different vampire plecos belong to. What cinched it for me was the shape of the nose which is a very distinctive characteristic of the genera

it could be. L264 is a light spotted Leporacanthicus
not a L264 it looks nothing like the one I have although it could be a L263

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
Definitely the right head shape. L473 possibly? Maybe check planetcatfish.com

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
not a L264 it looks nothing like the one I have although it could be a L263
I never said it was. There is a period before L264. I was just stating that a L264 is a light color spotted Leporacanthicus. The 'it could be' was a response to him asking if it was related to a Vampire pleco.

TheNewSeverum

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
Winter Springs
That fish doesn't look anything like an L264 or an L263. Both are dark spotted while the OP's fish has light spots. I'm willing to bet L473 or L029. I guess its a waiting game for the fishes color to either come out, or if it stays the same we could get a better idea. Like I said with mine, this morning he was jet black, but when his hiding spot is removed for tank maintenance, he turns grey.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
My almost black L183 would get notably lighter patches when he'd be out and about on my light substrate. I would assume plecos would get stressed in a new environmnent, too, even though they're 'tough' - bichirs wash out with a new tank, too. So I am betting it will darken up at least some.

Sorry, I'm too far from a pleco expert to give my opinion on which species it is. :)

Keep us updated as it settles!

Reactions: Cosmic_surfer
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store