Vieja synspila?

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I have kept most of the Vieja genus and their close cousins (my photos are all fish I have kept), but hardly ever, more than one species of the genus (or its look a likes) together in a tank successfully.
And I agree it is best to wait until you can provide appropriate accommodations, for any fish.
A few of the other similar species once considered in Vieja, but not now DNA evidence has separated them.
Chuco micropthalmus

Chuco intermedia

Maskaheros argentea

And Maskaheros regani
Wow that is pretty impressive, your fish are beautiful! I really like the Argentea and the last one maskaheros

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
One caveat about argentea and regani, they both can be extremely aggressive and psychotic once they hit maturity, and in most cases best kept without any other cichlids in the tank, unless its 300 gallons or more.
They don't seem to care about non-cichlids, except tall silver species like silver dollars, they will shred them , and most other similar sized cichlids to bits.
My alpha agentea had larger dovii and managuense pinned in upper corners of a 150 gal.
And after the regani in my pic kill its mate, I gave it away to a guy with a 220 gal, where it killed a much larger red devil, and H carpintus.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
yep. they look like Synspilum to me. or....I guess now, they're called melanurum, the Costa Rican variety?

Reactions: Niki_up

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
LFS just name vieja synspilum! Is that right
Technically correct as it’s a synonym. Sometimes you’ll see LFS/vendors list both names to distinguish between catch location/coloration.
In science melanura is the accepted and current name.

Reactions: Niki_up

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
yep. they look like Synspilum to me. or....I guess now, they're called melanurum, the Costa Rican variety?
Not found in CR.

Here are the locations. Some people only refer to them as “melanura” as the Lake Peten morph. There are two distinct morphs that only difference is the colors. They are the same fish.

0AD04677-6E16-47A0-ABBA-D8957265CE8D.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store