What IS a BD?

Rochen28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2007
Singapore
Actually the discussion is just academic..just take a look at last year price list and pics coming out from Brazil last year...the so call BDs, i would not even keep if its given to me free...but the so call big spots, galaxy wah...make me drool and reach for the phone to ask my importer to do TT right away.

The point is nice looking rays always command a premium, no matter what name you call it. To me, BDs is a trade name given to the highest level grade of P13. The defination, like society's concept of beauty, will evolve and change from time to time, depending on factors like trends, availability and marketing done directly or indirectly by the various players in the aquatic industry including hobbyist.

I am a small time breeder based in sg. I agree certain hobbyist will insist on certain traits, well its just market pref right. As breeders, we try to cater to it via selective breeding etc. From my many batchs of pups, so called classic BD traits rays cross might not always produce the belly spottings, 75% of the pups will have the belly spotting. Whereas, a leohenlei (F1 of P12XP13) X P13 will produce a similar proportion of pups with the belly spotting.

I typically keep some low grade p13 with bd characteristics for sale together with so call very high grade leos. And i do price them higher than the so called BDs.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
T1KARMANN;4204764; said:
in english money :D

about £500 for a leo
Blimey, I think I could start a business based on buying Leos at £500, I assume that these would be from abroad / imports?

I think I could set up ponds in my garages and still undercut the retailers with a decent margin in it for me.

That is a good price. If you could get them to my door 10 at a time I could pay you £700 and still get £1000 each if we control the supply.

Or am I wrong?

siluk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2007
UK
Just Toby;4209255; said:
Blimey, I think I could start a business based on buying Leos at £500, I assume that these would be from abroad / imports?

I think I could set up ponds in my garages and still undercut the retailers with a decent margin in it for me.

That is a good price. If you could get them to my door 10 at a time I could pay you £700 and still get £1000 each if we control the supply.

Or am I wrong?
I think in UK, Leo pups will sell around £650 to £750. Will be hard to find someone who is willing to pay £1000 per pup.:)

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Just Toby;4209255; said:

Or am I wrong?
the ray markets is not that big in the UK

and most people who do buy the more expensive rays do the research and know you can get them much cheaper if you look around and are willing to travel

and if you don't have a good reputation who's going to buy them from you :D

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
T1KARMANN;4212942; said:
and if you don't have a good reputation who's going to buy them from you :D

Ha Ha:D, I like your style, maybe I would have to give a few away like a drug dealer first to build up my rep...LOL:ROFL:

I thought they were a little more than that...oh well, another business bites the dust, I will return to selling hot cakes as they seem to sell like...well.....hot cakes!

:popcorn:

herman quah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2008
s'pore
Just to contribute to this thread. This is a 7in BD, I must said it is blacker and whiter than normal leo with stunning belly marking. Blue eye I m not sure. I would said that there are many variant of BD, like pearl. Of course, the one with big spots, thousand island spotting, with belly spottings will be on the demand list by everyone.

6th july 003.JPG

6th july 005.JPG

6th july 006.JPG

5th july 10 001.JPG

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Just Toby;4264120; said:
That bottom pic is an amazing Ray...just lovely. I would pay good money for one like that.
i can get you one right now if you want it just give me the good money £2k bring your polybox and off you go :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store