Whats the big deal about soft water cichlids in hard water. Rant

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
It is not necessary for actual HITH to develop in fish infested with flagellates. They may die of "uknown causes/mystery deaths" and you may have never known the actual issue unless you sent off fish for testing each time.

Spironucleus vortens theoretically can be completely eradicated from a breeder's tank...if proper care is taken with starting with fish that don't carry it and subsequent bio security....But no one cares, as you can't pin point to where it came from....it will be definitely blamed on bad water quality when it happens. I mean, is there anyone that has kept fish for a considerable length of time that has not have to use metronidazole at least once?
I tend to lose few fish, it's often some years between losses-- though if I say 'it's been x years since I've lost a fish' sometimes that's when it happens. Don't know if that's Murphy's law or some other law, lol.

Usually, I know the cause. There's old age, which you can often see coming with an elderly fish with certain signs and I tend to euthanize when they get to a certain point rather than let them continue to break down toward the inevitable. I've lost a few kapampa giberrosa females over 13 years to being egg bound (something they're susceptible to). There was a time years ago I'd lose the occasional Malawi cichlid to aggression or bloat-- until I figured out how to deal with and prevent both, which fixed both issues. Once lost a couple of guianacara when pH went too high in their tank, forget what I did wrong but I figured it out and fixed it-- interestingly, red head geos in the same tank were okay.

Occasionally I've had a mystery death, rare in the last 20 years, but it happens. Usually I knew when something was off, saw it in their behavior and tried treating. Less often a sudden death with no warning. It's possible some cases were flagellates, but there are other possibilities and, as you say, without testing who knows?

I believe in bio-security, especially in what you feed, in observing and knowing the behavior of your fish so you recognize when something's off and can address it early, in sound nutrition and not overfeeding, in not using antibiotics unless you need them, and in understanding your tank as an eco-system-- water changes are fine, but they're not the end-all-be-all of a healthy tank, tank ecology matters.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Could the same be said for putting hard water fish in soft water? My Apologies If this has been answered in the thread.

As in would the tannins typically found in soft water be beneficial or detrimental for hard water fish that don't usually experience them?
There was a study which found that humic substances (tannins) were beneficial to swordtails by reducing stress levels, and with reduced stress levels meant better growth. To be clear enough tannins were not added to reduce the total dissolved solid readings (TDS) of the water or lower the PH. The water did not become soft with the reduction of TDS

If you read this article create by a hobbyist, he references scientific studies on tannins that you could search for and come up with your own conclusions

Theos.dad

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2021
There was a study which found that humic substances (tannins) were beneficial to swordtails by reducing stress levels, and with reduced stress levels meant better growth. To be clear enough tannins were not added to reduce the total dissolved solid readings (TDS) of the water or lower the PH. The water did not become soft with the reduction of TDS

If you read this article create by a hobbyist, he references scientific studies on tannins that you could search for and come up with your own conclusions
I finally got time to sit down and read this thread and that link. Very good information on the tannins in both. I think I'm going to try the tank set up for the tannin tea.
Much appreciated

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store