Where can I buy pure ammonia?

arkmann

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
Where can I buy pure ammonia? I will do a fishless cycling and use pure ammonia instead. I dropped by Home Depot and the they have the household ammonia "Lemon Flavor."

Would this type of ammonia be ok or do I have to stick with pure ammonia?

I'm from 90502, Torrance, CA. I would like to get the chemical tomorrow morning to get the cycling going...

arkmann

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
Is anyone willing to donate a used filter media from an established tank? Anyone around the area?

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Go to the liquor store and buy your favorite, go home and enjoy. When you are done with it, take a clean container with you to the bathroom and you will have all you want.

The stuff used for cleaning is not pure ammonia, it has other cleaning agents with it such as surfactants. When your filter cycles the ammonia out, the rest of the stuff will still be there. You will need to do a 100% water change and test the tank with some feeders before committing anything nice to the tank.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
I was trying to leave that to the imagination, but that would be less work. However if you get drunk, you wouldn't want to fall in...

Blub Blub

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2006
Virginia
I used this stuff I bought at Food City. I doubt if you have Food City grocery stores in California though. After the cycle was complete I did an 80% water change, and added four new fish the same day. I had no problems what so ever.

IMAG0011.JPG

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
You should keep an extra filter running on one of your tanks for these types of situations.

kiowa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2006
Virginia, USA
I've never heard of peeing into your tank to get it cycled. But yes, grocery stores usually cary some ammonia. You could also try a hardware store as well, they may have what your' looking for.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store