Where can I buy pure ammonia?

Volenti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2007
Australia
moxxommox;894509; said:
alot of "old school" fish keepers used to pee in their tanks to get it cycled...
Urine's pretty oldschool allright, from being a conditioning agent in cloth production to it's use in making [SIZE=-1]saltpetre, a vital ingredient in gunpowder:nilly:[/SIZE]

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
CHOMPERS;894311; said:
Go to the liquor store and buy your favorite, go home and enjoy. When you are done with it, take a clean container with you to the bathroom and you will have all you want.

The stuff used for cleaning is not pure ammonia, it has other cleaning agents with it such as surfactants. When your filter cycles the ammonia out, the rest of the stuff will still be there. You will need to do a 100% water change and test the tank with some feeders before committing anything nice to the tank.
if you shake it and it doesnt sudz it should be pure ammonia

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
moxxommox;894509; said:
alot of "old school" fish keepers used to pee in their tanks to get it cycled...
My tank is five feet high, should I get a ladder? Also, how much yellow do I need to administer to get things rolling? :ROFL:

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
DeLgAdO;895379; said:
if you shake it and it doesnt sudz it should be pure ammonia
Shake what?:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

moxxommox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2006
Australia, Sydney
ewurm;895401; said:
My tank is five feet high, should I get a ladder? Also, how much yellow do I need to administer to get things rolling? :ROFL:
just piddle in your chamber pot and throw it in when you get up. you don't need that much. maybe 1 or 2 lots :p

:nilly: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
this is the way to go:
ProLine Ammonium Chloride Price: $12.35
The perfect food source for nitrifying bacteria. This product is used as a source of ammonia to initiate the growth of nitrifying bacteria. Should not be used when fish or other culture animals are present in the water. Apply 4-10 mg/l prior to seeding bacteria. Not FDA-approved. Sold in 500-gram bottles

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/1540

it would seem however to make more sense to add a compound with nitrite first as the bacteria which breaks down nitrite is slow growing and inhibited by ammonia...then add the ammonia chloride to develop the faster growing bacteria ....and you are there

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
arkmann;894305; said:
I'm from 90502, Torrance, CA. I would like to get the chemical tomorrow morning to get the cycling going...
i may have some ammonia chloride i am near the 10 and 405....i need to check if i have it.... send a pm if that would help you.

john

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
ewurm;895401; said:
My tank is five feet high, should I get a ladder? Also, how much yellow do I need to administer to get things rolling?
why a ladder ??? just toss the hose over the top edge :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :banhim:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store