Wild Pleco in Florida

Wet Whiskers

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
Amongst the Catfish & Plecos
My sister-in-law told me about these "large catfish looking fish" that are in large numbers in the Florida canals, which just so happened to run right behind her house. So, I knew what I was doing for the evening. I even had bought a large net for my catfish earlier that day. Sure enough, I took one look at what was in the water and saw a very large pleco. We walked 20' down the canal and must have seen 4 just sitting at the edge. So, about 20-30 minutes of almosts and lots of patience, we got him. No, I did not have a measuring tape, but the photos and measurements of my hand later, we were able to determine that he was a good 25 inches. :)

mkman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
CA
wowzers! The picture of it in the water made it look like a leviathan!

Wet Whiskers

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
I couldn't believe how strong this guy was. I was trying to wrestle with him, but at the same time I didn't want to hurt him. When he thrashed his tail around I could definitely feel his strength. At least he was all rough and bristly so I had a chance at holding on to him. When I finally got a grip on him, you could hear the air rushing over his gills. It was very cool.

Mr. Grumpy Gills

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2009
nebraska
it looks very healthy and well fed. Does anyone know how large these plecos get in the wild??

Wet Whiskers

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
Mr. Grumpy Gills;3183315; said:
it looks very healthy and well fed. Does anyone know how large these plecos get in the wild??
Well they get to at least 25". That's all I can tell you. :) I actually posted on planet catfish in hopes of getting a correct ID on him. I know he's a 'common', but there really is that there are few species that are considered commons. I suspected that he was "Pterygoplichthys pardalis", but it says on Planetcatfish they only get to 14 inches, and we measured this guy to be about 25". Either I missed the ID, they've got the max length wrong, or I've got some freaking huge mits! :grinno: I'll post it here once he's ID'd for sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store