Wild Pleco in Florida

T.K.O.P. 8=X

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2009
Pa.
www.myyearbook.com
That's one big a** mofokan pleco nice catch!

chloe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2008
portsmouth/southampton/crawley, UK
wow he was gorgeous! i was hunting around for them while i was there but couldnt find any. found loads of manatees but no plecs lol

PE4COCKB4SS4LYF

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
Middle of No Where
Very nice
im also in FL and my bro n i would make contstse outta who could catch the most n biggest of these guys with out hands. They sit with their tails out of their holes and you can grab the tail and eventially they will give up and let ya pull em right out.

dormtankpics.jpg

Wet Whiskers

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
Amongst the Catfish & Plecos
Lupin;3184095; said:
Imagine wild plecos just in your backyard.:WHOA:
I know! I thought it was totally awesome. My friends think I'm crazy for just liking these guys, much less touching them. I think my friends can be narrow and boring for freaking out just cause it isn't furry. :shakehead I mean just cause your not used to it doesn't mean you can't appreciate the oddity and specialness of a creature that is so different!

PE4COCKB4SS4LYF;3184465; said:
Very nice. im also in FL and my bro n i would make contstse outta who could catch the most n biggest of these guys with out hands. They sit with their tails out of their holes and you can grab the tail and eventially they will give up and let ya pull em right out.
I was just visiting, but, for those living in Florida, you guys have everything you need to have a great fish you can just pull right out of the water, and have an instant monster tank!

Wet Whiskers

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
Amongst the Catfish & Plecos
chloe;3184167; said:
wow he was gorgeous! i was hunting around for them while i was there but couldnt find any. found loads of manatees but no plecs lol
Nice! I'd love to SCUBA with them. I'd love to just sit at a bit of a distance, watch them lumber around, and just see them in their natural habitat.

I can't believe you didn't find a pleco, though! They're were so many where I was. We were JUST north of the Everglades. I think there was a large breeding population in those local canals.

Anyone know what the fish rules in them are? I had assumed that they aren't supposed to be there, but I heard that they actually have introduced some sterile Peacock Bass just to help with eliminating some of the invasive species. I was told that this is supposed to be helping, but my source wasn't exactly an expert on this subject. I would suspect that these guys just got too big for their tanks and got released, and weren't part of a master plan. :) I have no idea if I could have gotten in trouble for throwing him back, but there was no way I was gonna kill him. However, I really wanted to bring him back just to say I have caught him out of the wild. (More of a pipe dream than an actual consideration though.) :)

PE4COCKB4SS4LYF

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
Middle of No Where
sum more
crappy cell pics srry
The carp pic is to see the length of my shoe and campare it to the length of the first pleco i posted enjoy...:D

pleco.jpg

pleco 2.jpg

carp 001.jpg

JakeH

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2009
Houston, TX
I saw an episode of "Life After People" where they said Plecos (they called them Sailfin Catfish) would eventually undermind the entire canal/levy system in Florida by burrowing through them. Supposed to take a few hundred years...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store