Wild Pleco in Florida

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
He is mighty handsome monster pleco ... common or not..when they get that big they are unique..

Ramesh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
Earth
Great catch, I am very impressed with just how beautiful that Pleco is and what a monster!!

My secound thought though was what is it doing living in a Florida cannal?
I fear that such exotic introductions give responsible fishkeepers a bad name and put undue pressure on native species and resources.
Yes it is a wonderful species and beautiful fish but another example of poor animal husbandry and a reflection of a disposable "not my problem" society.

Reactions: PlecoNoob

Camshaft Ramrod

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 10, 2008
Orlando, FL
Ramesh;3185742; said:
what is it doing living in a Florida cannal?
There is not a body of water in Florida that doesn't have at least one of these. They have taken over down here. :(

zerojquan85

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
So-California, US
dang... thats awesome.... i dont those are native to Florida.... thanks for sharing.. that is one awesome pleco to have...

Very cool!

b_tenant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
Wisconsin
That saves having to grow them out for 6 years or so. Not so much of a novelty though if you can walk into your back yard and see them every day.

uncwnells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Wilmington, NC
thats crazy, awesome pleco, I am also loving the mini boots.

swede

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2009
ןɟ 'opuɐןɹo ɹɐǝu
Camshaft Ramrod;3185787; said:
There is not a body of water in Florida that doesn't have at least one of these. They have taken over down here. :(
agreed. they even have postings at some parks about how the sailfin pleco was introduced to the waterways as a non native species. They don't fit in our eco system and therefore their population is wild. any waterway here has plenty of these guys as well as hydrilla.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store