950 Plywood/Acrylic Build on Wheels!

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
The tank is going on the tile floor in the pictures. (which has concrete below it)
I dont think insurance covers fish tanks lol.
Thanks, we only plan on moving it in an emergency.
How about this..
Buy a 300 gallon rubbermaid stock tank (or two)
In an emergency, put all fish in stock tanks, empty the big tank completely and do what you have to do.
This is insanity.
Also, you can not trust caster ratings.
As an example, I put a 800 lb tool on 4 casters. Each caster was rated over 500 lbs so I thought I was safe.. Well, I moved it a little bit a few times, then one caster blew out on me.

Another issue you will have.. Even if the bolts and casters hold up, now your bottom is not completely supported by the concrete floor. All that weight on the wood will cause it to sag over time and eventually leak.

I am pretty sure you will ignore this warning and do it anyhow, but I felt obligated to warn you.

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Another issue you will have.. Even if the bolts and casters hold up, now your bottom is not completely supported by the concrete floor. All that weight on the wood will cause it to sag over time and eventually leak.
I feel like this is the point being missed. So you have it on 9 casters and bolts. Yes they may be able to hold the weight perfectly fine, BUT.. All that weight is pinpointed to specific areas of the tank. How many tank failures (glass and acrylic) have you seen posted due to pressure points? With plywood tanks it only takes VERY VERY VERY minute flexes/stresses in the wood to cause a crack in the epoxy and with this size it's not just going to spring a small leak, that kind of pressure is going to literally burst through the seam. Just saying you have been warned so many times it's not funny, I truly hope it succeeds and all works out I really do but I cannot fathom even taking this chance with my home.....I have a feeling this thread will just go cold at some point like SO many do for obvious reasons... :(

FisheadFrank

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2015
Illinois
How about this..
Buy a 300 gallon rubbermaid stock tank (or two)
In an emergency, put all fish in stock tanks, empty the big tank completely and do what you have to do.
This is insanity.
Also, you can not trust caster ratings.
As an example, I put a 800 lb tool on 4 casters. Each caster was rated over 500 lbs so I thought I was safe.. Well, I moved it a little bit a few times, then one caster blew out on me.

I am pretty sure you will ignore this warning and do it anyhow, but I felt obligated to warn you.
Thanks I appreciate your input and for sharing your experience. Yes a 300 gallon rubbermaid stock tank is a good idea, I'll look into it. All tanks are on some sort of wooden stand and I dont see any others sagging....I understand what your saying and appreciate the advice...but its too late to turn back now.

FisheadFrank

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2015
Illinois
I feel like this is the point being missed. So you have it on 9 casters and bolts. Yes they may be able to hold the weight perfectly fine, BUT.. All that weight is pinpointed to specific areas of the tank. How many tank failures (glass and acrylic) have you seen posted due to pressure points? With plywood tanks it only takes VERY VERY VERY minute flexes/stresses in the wood to cause a crack in the epoxy and with this size it's not just going to spring a small leak, that kind of pressure is going to literally burst through the seam. Just saying you have been warned so many times it's not funny, I truly hope it succeeds and all works out I really do but I cannot fathom even taking this chance with my home.....I have a feeling this thread will just go cold at some point like SO many do for obvious reasons... :(
Thanks for your feedback. I understand that there are 9 points of pressure holding up the tank but those points should have no effect on the waterproofing of the tank unless those 9 points go through 8.5 inches of wood. The pressure is distributed by 6x6's that are 10 feet long. The 9 points of pressure will definitely effect the floor which is a different story. The only way this thread will go cold is if the tank fails catastrophically....which I'm pretty sure aint gunna happen.

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Thanks for your feedback. I understand that there are 9 points of pressure holding up the tank but those points should have no effect on the waterproofing of the tank unless those 9 points go through 8.5 inches of wood. The pressure is distributed by 6x6's that are 10 feet long. The 9 points of pressure will definitely effect the floor which is a different story. The only way this thread will go cold is if the tank fails catastrophically....which I'm pretty sure aint gunna happen.
Ok man, hopefully this project works out, we shall see if these casters will hold up, if not then you better have a pump and snorkel ready :p

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
The only way this thread will go cold is if the tank fails catastrophically....which I'm pretty sure aint gunna happen.
Unfortunately, my guess is that this will be the end result. It might blow the seam the first time he fills it up, it might last a week, or a month, or maybe even a year (although I doubt it), but I think that this is what will become of it. I really hope I'm wrong. At the same time, I think that the OP has been given more warnings than he should need, many by much more experienced hobbyists than he is, and has ignored them all. This thread now has six pages and there is not a single post in there of someone agreeing that this is a good idea. Again, it's not too late for the OP to simply take the casters and lifting/leveling bolts off the bottom and just sit the tank flat on the floor, but for some reason he refuses to do so. Hopefully we can all still be viewing updated on this tank for years to come though.

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
Yes, I did not point out.. when I said "leak", there is a strong possiblity of a catastrophic failure.

Hey OP, we are not trying to prove we are smarter than you or discourage you.. We are just trying to stop an accident. We are all here to learn from each other. I hope you reconsider your plan.

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
Thanks I appreciate your input and for sharing your experience. Yes a 300 gallon rubbermaid stock tank is a good idea, I'll look into it. All tanks are on some sort of wooden stand and I dont see any others sagging....I understand what your saying and appreciate the advice...but its too late to turn back now.
It's never too late man. Even if you have to start completely over, better to waste a couple hundred dollars in wood and lose some labor than to finish this project, only to fail.
A burst can cost thousands of dollars of damage to your house, plus the cost of dead fish, broken equipment (heaters and filters running dry).

Please consider..

Reactions: M@T!@$

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
It's never too late man. Even if you have to start completely over, better to waste a couple hundred dollars in wood and lose some labor than to finish this project, only to fail.
A burst can cost thousands of dollars of damage to your house, plus the cost of dead fish, broken equipment (heaters and filters running dry).

Please consider..
Plus it's a safety concern, what if you're in front on the tank when it bursts?

Reactions: paulW

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska

Please consider..
i dont think a complete rebuild would be needed, just remove the casters sand make sure the frame is level right?

Reactions: paulW
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store