950 Plywood/Acrylic Build on Wheels!

FisheadFrank

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2015
Illinois
Started Bracing the tank, you can see where we notched out the wood in the 2x4 on the top brace to make room for the patch that is holding the plywood together.20150806_161738.jpg 20150806_161804.jpg 20150807_210414.jpg 20150807_210423.jpg 20150807_210447.jpg 20150807_210514.jpg 20150807_210529.jpg 20150809_153824.jpg 20150809_153858.jpg

Reactions: Zigermandli

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
You are definitely putting a lot of work and effort into your project. I hope it goes well and please keep the updates coming

pdxmonkeyboy

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2016
[
QUOTE="FisheadFrank, post: 7621545, member: 137710"]The wheels will be going on 2x12's that are 50ish inches long. That will distribute the weight to the floor without harming the tiles. Also to ensure that the wheels don't sink into the wood, I willl be adding 1/4" steel on top of the wood at the same dimensions.[/QUOTE]

what I was trying to convey is the pressure of the wheels on the tiles and concrete underneath. unlike a normal tank whose weight is evenly distrusted around the base of the tank, your tank will have all its weight on 9 little points of contact.

if your wheels are 1" wide and let's say the contact patch is 1/2" long. That's .5 sq. inch per wheel. mult. by 9 wheels 4.5 sq. inch. of TOTALLY ground contact. total weight/ area ...
10,000lbs / 4.5 sq. inch. = 2,222 PSI !!!

If you had a perfect tile install it should hold.. but let's hope you have a deep basement slab. When was the house built? My 1914 house had basement concrete that was less than 2" thick.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
When I read that I got the impression there was going to be runners on the floor but that would defeat the initial purpose of the wheels so I think you are right

pdxmonkeyboy

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2016
yeah, I'm not trying to be a hater or anything, I mean sure aquarium on casters can work. That said, if you have a 950 gallon tank you want a safety factor bigger than 2. The wheels are rated to 2,000... but that could be failure load, and who tested these made in China wheels??

Bottom line, if that tank shifts in anyway, the water is coming out of it. Those bolts on the bottom? LOL. if one of those wheels gIves way those bolts will DEFINATELY shatter the tile.

But as someone said above.. sister joists between those 4x4 or 6x6 that you have the wheels mounted to would be a good idea. There will be quite a bit of rotational force put on this 6x6 when you roll over the seams in the tile.

Reactions: millerkid519

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Dont want to sound like a butt head but how long do you think this is actually hold up. There's going to be alot stress on the tank full of water then you throw in the leveling screws and casters. That is a recipe for disaster all it takes is a week spot and extra stress (like a caster folding) then you have 800 gal of water rushing threw your house like a freight train. As I see your doing what you want but you should stand back and look at the big picture. If casters and leveling screws was such a good idea they would come as a option on all tanks. Honestly how many tanks have you seen on casters. I've been in this hobby for 30 years and I've never seen a tank on casters. Just my 2 cents
ALL of my tanks are on casters and I haven't had any issue. I have a 60 an 80 and a 120. I'm not sure if you can go too much further though.

Last edited:

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
ALL of my tanks are on casters and I haven't had any issue. I have a 60 an 80 and a 120. I'm not sure if you can go too much further though.
Going from 600 800 and 1200 pounds is a hole different ball game then 10000 pounds. I would be concernedthe the twisting you could get while rolling the tank and the fact that once you get the momentum behind the tank with water who knows what will happen lol.
I'm not to sure what the vertical load of 1/4 inch flat bar is but my guess is that it will still bend or flex even when when you have 2200psI per wheel. Also when we build machines at work that come close to that weight we use 7/8 or 1 inch threaded foot pads. Not trying to be a Debbie downer here just pointing things out I see

Reactions: M@T!@$

Flaring Afro

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2016
Ignoring the points others have mentioned, how do you even plan on moving the thing? Yeah it's on wheels, but 10,000 pounds is not going to be an easy push. I'm also assuming the floor would be PERFECTLY level, or the whole thing is going to move over time...

FisheadFrank

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2015
Illinois
Alot of the things you guys are asking or have concerns about, I have already answered in previous comments.

You are definitely putting a lot of work and effort into your project. I hope it goes well and please keep the updates coming
Thank you and I will

[
QUOTE="FisheadFrank, post: 7621545, member: 137710"]The wheels will be going on 2x12's that are 50ish inches long. That will distribute the weight to the floor without harming the tiles. Also to ensure that the wheels don't sink into the wood, I willl be adding 1/4" steel on top of the wood at the same dimensions.
what I was trying to convey is the pressure of the wheels on the tiles and concrete underneath. unlike a normal tank whose weight is evenly distrusted around the base of the tank, your tank will have all its weight on 9 little points of contact.

if your wheels are 1" wide and let's say the contact patch is 1/2" long. That's .5 sq. inch per wheel. mult. by 9 wheels 4.5 sq. inch. of TOTALLY ground contact. total weight/ area ...
10,000lbs / 4.5 sq. inch. = 2,222 PSI !!!

If you had a perfect tile install it should hold.. but let's hope you have a deep basement slab. When was the house built? My 1914 house had basement concrete that was less than 2" thick.[/QUOTE]

Wheels are closer to 2" wide. House was built in the 60's. Cement is 3" thick below.

When I read that I got the impression there was going to be runners on the floor but that would defeat the initial purpose of the wheels so I think you are right
There will be 2x12's and 1/4 steel under the wheels. I can only move the tank forward and backward, I will have 3 more 2x12's that I will pull out to lay in front of the ones the tank will be on. If in an emergency I had to move the tank, I would bring out those 3 boards, drain the tank and roll it forward.

yeah, I'm not trying to be a hater or anything, I mean sure aquarium on casters can work. That said, if you have a 950 gallon tank you want a safety factor bigger than 2. The wheels are rated to 2,000... but that could be failure load, and who tested these made in China wheels??

Bottom line, if that tank shifts in anyway, the water is coming out of it. Those bolts on the bottom? LOL. if one of those wheels gIves way those bolts will DEFINATELY shatter the tile.

But as someone said above.. sister joists between those 4x4 or 6x6 that you have the wheels mounted to would be a good idea. There will be quite a bit of rotational force put on this 6x6 when you roll over the seams in the tile.
Wheels were made in America, they were quite expensive too.
As I mentioned previously the wheels and bolts will be on 2x12's with 1/4" steel. I have bolts going through the tank to the 6x6's they're not going anywhere. Thank you for you concern though.

Bigger tank, bigger casters, its no problem.

Going from 600 800 and 1200 pounds is a hole different ball game then 10000 pounds. I would be concernedthe the twisting you could get while rolling the tank and the fact that once you get the momentum behind the tank with water who knows what will happen lol.
I'm not to sure what the vertical load of 1/4 inch flat bar is but my guess is that it will still bend or flex even when when you have 2200psI per wheel. Also when we build machines at work that come close to that weight we use 7/8 or 1 inch threaded foot pads. Not trying to be a Debbie downer here just pointing things out I see
Thanks I appreciate in the info. If we were to move the tank there will only be about 12-18inches of water in it. There wont be a lot of momentum from moving it slowly. The leveling 1/2inch bolts/pads are rated at 5000lbs each. I have 3 up front.

Ignoring the points others have mentioned, how do you even plan on moving the thing? Yeah it's on wheels, but 10,000 pounds is not going to be an easy push. I'm also assuming the floor would be PERFECTLY level, or the whole thing is going to move over time...
Thank you for your concern. As I mentioned before, in an emergency where I would have to move the tank, I would drain the tank down. The whole tank could slowly move over time because it is on wheels. I however will be putting a wheel chock in front of a couple wheels to keep the tank from rolling.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store