950 Plywood/Acrylic Build on Wheels!

reefman

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
In front of my tanks
Is the aluminum going to be in contact with the water. Do you no what grade aluminum because some grades will oxidize in water and create a week point. You should of got some 300 series stainless wich is food grade and will not rust or oxidize

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Have you read many plywood builds or any of these warnings? I'm not sure how you don't understand what would cause a seam to leak or burst. There are far more documented failures than successes. It literally takes next to no flexing or movement to cause epoxy to crack. Not having a tank on a stable perfectly flat surface causes pressure points aka more stress in the frame in certain areas versus others causing flex. This is what causes tanks to fail. It's documented. Wood is a soft material, it WILL flex, shrink and expand like it or not all you can do is do your best to minimize it. I hope you plan on fiberglassing this thing inside and out with multiple layers.

Reactions: paulW

FisheadFrank

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2015
Illinois
Is the aluminum going to be in contact with the water. Do you no what grade aluminum because some grades will oxidize in water and create a week point. You should of got some 300 series stainless wich is food grade and will not rust or oxidize
The aluminum will be on the outside of the acrylic to keep it from moving.

Have you read many plywood builds or any of these warnings? I'm not sure how you don't understand what would cause a seam to leak or burst. There are far more documented failures than successes. It literally takes next to no flexing or movement to cause epoxy to crack. Not having a tank on a stable perfectly flat surface causes pressure points aka more stress in the frame in certain areas versus others causing flex. This is what causes tanks to fail. It's documented. Wood is a soft material, it WILL flex, shrink and expand like it or not all you can do is do your best to minimize it. I hope you plan on fiberglassing this thing inside and out with multiple layers.
Thanks for your input. I've read quite a few plywood builds. I have not read any that failed, only ones that went cold. I understand that flexing will cause cracking of epoxy which may cause leakage. However, the surface will be stable, is there a possibility that a wheel will slowly crush? Yes, but the bolts will be touching the floor so even if the wheel didn't hold up, it shouldn't matter with the bolt there. I agree with the fact that wood can flex, shrink, and expand but I hope not to the extent that it will effect this build and it's structural integrity.

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
The design flaws in this project could be life threatening.

Maybe consult with a structural engineer and an aquarium manufacturer before you go any further with this. I'd be shocked if a professional signs off on this design.

I don't think this would hold on 9 cinder blocks, let alone on 9 casters or bolts. It doesn't matter what the casters and bolts are rated either. You must try to distribute the load as evenly as possible.

What also caught my attention is the construction method. Those 4x4's or 6x6'a are normally used as posts, not joists. 2x12's are normally used as joists, not as planking. The 6x6's being used as joists aren't tied together properly either. So it's not just a single point of concern. It's the design and construction on many different levels.

I, myself, have poured thousands of dollars into a 320 gallon aquarium build, which I didn't finish. So I know how it feels to have set backs. There is quite a learning curve to building aquariums. I started building my own tanks before MonsterFishKeepers was in existence. My 1st aquarium build was a 33 gallon tank. It held together for about a year before the seems started going bad and the legs on the stand started to wobble. Since then, I've built a 90g, a 95g, and a 160g. All which have been retired due to design flaws. Sometimes failure is the only way to learn when no help or good advise is available. You are getting some good advise here at MFK.

It's not too late to salvage this project. At the very least tie those joists up real good with sisters. Use the casters for something else, like a furniture dolly. Hire an electrician to move the electric outlets, if that was a concern. Board up the window. Move the door. Move the tank. Just make it safe so we don't have to suffer any more.

FisheadFrank

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2015
Illinois
The design flaws in this project could be life threatening.

Maybe consult with a structural engineer and an aquarium manufacturer before you go any further with this. I'd be shocked if a professional signs off on this design.

I don't think this would hold on 9 cinder blocks, let alone on 9 casters or bolts. It doesn't matter what the casters and bolts are rated either. You must try to distribute the load as evenly as possible.

What also caught my attention is the construction method. Those 4x4's or 6x6'a are normally used as posts, not joists. 2x12's are normally used as joists, not as planking. The 6x6's being used as joists aren't tied together properly either. So it's not just a single point of concern. It's the design and construction on many different levels.

I, myself, have poured thousands of dollars into a 320 gallon aquarium build, which I didn't finish. So I know how it feels to have set backs. There is quite a learning curve to building aquariums. I started building my own tanks before MonsterFishKeepers was in existence. My 1st aquarium build was a 33 gallon tank. It held together for about a year before the seems started going bad and the legs on the stand started to wobble. Since then, I've built a 90g, a 95g, and a 160g. All which have been retired due to design flaws. Sometimes failure is the only way to learn when no help or good advise is available. You are getting some good advise here at MFK.

It's not too late to salvage this project. At the very least tie those joists up real good with sisters. Use the casters for something else, like a furniture dolly. Hire an electrician to move the electric outlets, if that was a concern. Board up the window. Move the door. Move the tank. Just make it safe so we don't have to suffer any more.

I appreciate your concern. If I needed a professional I would get one. I don't think you should be comparing concrete cinder blocks to steel bolts and casters. Yes true 6x6's are used for posts, that doesn't mean they wont work as joists, they're usually not needed as joists for most occasions, because its easier to use 2x4/6/8/10/12's. I agree that I am getting good advice here on MFK, I always thank and appreciate everyone's concerns and suggestions.
However, as I mentioned before, it is too late. Just waiting for someone to catch on....

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I appreciate your concern. If I needed a professional I would get one. I don't think you should be comparing concrete cinder blocks to steel bolts and casters. Yes true 6x6's are used for posts, that doesn't mean they wont work as joists, they're usually not needed as joists for most occasions, because its easier to use 2x4/6/8/10/12's. I agree that I am getting good advice here on MFK, I always thank and appreciate everyone's concerns and suggestions.
However, as I mentioned before, it is too late. Just waiting for someone to catch on....
I think what bugs me most is the ops inability to accept helpful information. I honestly want this tank to fail just so everyone can say "I told you so". Arrogance

Reactions: millerkid519
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store