bichirs are are bottemless pits

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
What are you the bicher police? I'm not trying to be abbraisive here, but you're attacking people for experimenting with the hobby. Yt? You can claim I'm wrong and i will still add a ropefish tomorrow.
I think it woukd be a good idea to thank magpie magpie for trying to pass on some info instead of being rude and name calling.

I got a great idea put your money where yoyr mouth is and post this thread in the polys section.

Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683 Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 dmcskoolkid dmcskoolkid what you guys think adult endli with a rope ? Hahahaahaha

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683 Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 dmcskoolkid dmcskoolkid what you guys think adult endli with a rope ? Hahahaahaha
Oh no, why'd you have to go and mention Vancouver? Now you've pretty much just given him permission to post a ton of sad photos of ropes being eaten by LJs. *cries*

*covers eyes in preparation for the sadness*

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
I'm not sure you can over feed a bichir they will sometimes do something called stomach packing where they will actually compress the food in their stomach to make more room here is an excerpt from a sticky in the bichir forum here on MFK about bichir behaviour

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...pterides-and-the-purposes-behind-them.223047/

Stomach packing:

This behavior is seen after the fish appears to have eaten its fill. When the fish's belly begins to show fullness, you may observe it bend it's body from side to side once or twice, using it's muscular body to adjust the food in it's stomach to allow for more space, the same way you would over-pack a suitcase.

In nature:
Being opportunistic predators in their natural habitat, bichirs need to eat all they can when they can. Because they use a lot of muscle to swim, they have a high energy cost to move around and hunt.

If the fish happens upon a large meal, either a fish carcass or some other chance opportunity for a large meal, the bichirs make the best of it by stuffing in as much food as they can.

In the aquarium:
Only the bichirs that are well settled into the aquarium environment, with voracious appetites will display this behavior. Because they don't need to work as hard to get their food, they may become obese if the aquarist does not control how much they are fed daily
Stomach packing. They'll tilt up and down too. Their stomach contents will shift and change shape. It is evident visually on polys that over eat.

[Media]

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Oh no, why'd you have to go and mention Vancouver? Now you've pretty much just given him permission to post a ton of sad photos of ropes being eaten by LJs. *cries*

*covers eyes in preparation for the sadness*
Lmao- magpie magpie u know I got the pics of fishes in a polys mouth.

LJ polys have a potential to be a bad mix with anything they can grab a hold of. Some will even bite smaller stingrays. It usually occurs when the poly is a juvenile. It's a risk.

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store