Bichir tank mates and plants

graylizard

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2023
My biggest fear is that it will bother the tetras.image.jpgthis is how I set up my tank and and I intend to add more plants around because I heard that bikers love plants I also I’m afraid that it will bother the delhezi because he will sometimes swim at the top of the waterimage.jpgimage.jpg

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
My biggest fear is that it will bother the tetras.View attachment 1535048this is how I set up my tank and and I intend to add more plants around because I heard that bikers love plants I also I’m afraid that it will bother the delhezi because he will sometimes swim at the top of the waterView attachment 1535049View attachment 1535050
Very nice set up! Perhaps this link will alleviate some of your fears.

Avoid feeders in your tank (even the bichirs will become aggressive if you do this), and you should be fine.

graylizard

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2023
As of right now the largest bichir in the tank is 4 1/2 inches and all the tetras are under 2 inches should I get a baby blue acara or does it not matter. I only have 5 congos as of now and I intend to get the other five this week. I’ll also get the acara when I get the tetras.

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
As of right now the largest bichir in the tank is 4 1/2 inches and all the tetras are under 2 inches should I get a baby blue acara or does it not matter. I only have 5 congos as of now and I intend to get the other five this week. I’ll also get the acara when I get the tetras.
I'd get a small cichlid and let it grow out with its tankmates.

graylizard

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2023
I’m not the best at taking videos, but here is a three minute video of me, putting my new acara Cichlid in my tank and then showing the tank. I unfortunately cannot find a pet store close to me other than a Petco that has a blue acara Cichlid thankfully that Petco is the one that I actually know has people that take care of the fish well. So I don’t really feel bad about supporting this one. He’s a little bit on the bigger side since he is not bigger than or about the same size as some of my bichirs. If you have any name suggestions for the acara cichlid. Currently he seems to be really interested in the structure in the tank. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. https://share.icloud.com/photos/041dVvLUm6GR-VmW6oXUJszQQ

Last edited:
Reactions: Caveden

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
I’m not the best at taking videos, but here is a three minute video of me, putting my new acara Cichlid in my tank and then showing the tank. I unfortunately cannot find a pet store close to me other than a Petco that has a blue acara Cichlid thankfully that Petco is the one that I actually know has people that take care of the fish well. So I don’t really feel bad about supporting this one. He’s a little bit on the bigger side since he is not bigger than or about the same size as some of my bichirs. If you have any name suggestions for the acara cichlid. Currently he seems to be really interested in the structure in the tank. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. https://share.icloud.com/photos/041dVvLUm6GR-VmW6oXUJszQQ
Video doesn't work.

graylizard

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2023
If you have any name suggestions for the acara cichlid. Currently he seems to be really interested in the structure in the tank. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

graylizard

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2023
I have a big brown algae problem in my tank. I will scrape it off one day and the next day it will be back. Someone recommended a common pleco but I’ve heard that they will attack the bichir’s slime coat. Any advice or suggestions on what I could do?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store