75g Stand cracking underneath

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Ive looked at this a few times over the past week and would honestly prescribe a somewhat "ghetto" quick fix like you amazontank amazontank are suggesting. You can find laminate "project panels" at hardware stores in many sizes up to 1" thickness or even "butcher block" boards in many sizes that are even thicker at the same stores that you could simply cut to size and slip in between the tank and stand. The supporting structure is still somewhat sound, you just need a stronger base than that crappy particle board to sustain and allocate the bowing of the bottom tank panel. I think even a 3/4" plywood panel would work for a temporary fix here. Of course you would have to empty the tank before installing the reinforcing layer.

I would do this as a temporary precaution, and then build a solid lumber/plywood stand in the interim time to eventually transfer the tank to as a neat project to work on in your spare time. As others have said, the particle board stand will eventually be worthless and to get the most out of the tank you will want something lasting.

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
Thanks friends I got this stand temporarily and gonna put old stand outside. Looks like the acrylic tank had a tiny leak on the bottom seam of the acrylic.
The new stand I got is made for a glass tank so the bottom is not supported and I had no time to get a piece of plywood to fully support the bottom. Can I wait a few weeks is that important for acrylic tanks to always have full support?

1000012050.png

View attachment 1525164

1000012057.jpg

Attachments

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
No way...

buh bye, stand. tank won't get any lighter. Even if you add planks if the middle structure is getting compromised Idk if you're just buying time. Think rotten apple with a hard shell on top. I had a 'wood' stand for the 225 3 years ago. Turns out the wood was minimum support weight and it split and bowed out to the point the cabinet doors wouln't close. Got an aluminum/steel frame stand and don't regret spending the 1800 bucks for it. It's strong asf, watertight at the floor and won't flex or bend.

Save yourself a major freakout and get a metal or wood stand. For a 75 gal maybe 600-1,000 range. Better than sleeping with one eye open.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Thanks friends I got this stand temporarily and gonna put old stand outside. Looks like the acrylic tank had a tiny leak on the bottom seam of the acrylic.
The new stand I got is made for a glass tank so the bottom is not supported and I had no time to get a piece of plywood to fully support the bottom. Can I wait a few weeks is that important for acrylic tanks to always have full support?

View attachment 1525163

View attachment 1525164

View attachment 1525165
Better than the last one, nice 💀🤙… Looks like 2x4’s under there at least… for a 4’ span on acrylic there should be atleast one center support underneath in the middle. From what i can make out u could use one 2x4 to fill the gap flush to the tank and another under it screwed into the front and back 2x4’s to support the bottom. Can do that easy with it as is.

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
So I was looking at this piece of board 48"×18" to put underneath my new stand since it's an open bottom and the tank is acrylic.
Any advice freinds? I remember having a 300 acrylic on an open stand in Cali without an issue.

1000012160.jpg

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Thanks my man I just saw your post wednesday13 wednesday13
So instead of a board just add some 2x4 pieces 🤔

View attachment 1525488
The board on top will do alot of good also 💀🤙… 18” isnt that great a span. Still not a terrible idea to put a center brace underneath tho. Just the center brace with 2x4 will b stronger and cheaper.

Reactions: amazontank

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
So I was looking at this piece of board 48"×18" to put underneath my new stand since it's an open bottom and the tank is acrylic.
Any advice freinds? I remember having a 300 acrylic on an open stand in Cali without an issue.

View attachment 1525487
Is there something better I can get for a board under my acrylic tank or will this one work out fine enough!
Gonna also pick up some supports for my 180 and a few of the 75's with weak stands!

1000012459.jpg

1000012457.jpg

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store