950 Plywood/Acrylic Build on Wheels!

FisheadFrank

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2015
Illinois
20151002_145910.jpg 20151002_145940.jpg 20151015_180314.jpg 20151015_181118.jpg Drilled the bulkheads.
Set the filter box in place so I know where to put the support for the box.
Installed glass in filter box.
Check it for leaks.
Installed side bracing for tank

Reactions: Zigermandli

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
If I were you and you absolutely insist on keeping this thing on wheels I would go the liner route. That would solve the issue of a seam bursting. If you do go epoxy that's where I see you having major issues so I would seriously encase that thing in multiple layers of fiberglass first to make it as rigid as possible. No matter how much support you go with it is still wood and without it being fully supported on the bottom it is going to flex and epoxy will Crack and you will have leaks over time. Other than that issue (which is a big one!) The build looks fantastically over built which I love :)

Reactions: millerkid519

FisheadFrank

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2015
Illinois
If I were you and you absolutely insist on keeping this thing on wheels I would go the liner route. That would solve the issue of a seam bursting. If you do go epoxy that's where I see you having major issues so I would seriously encase that thing in multiple layers of fiberglass first to make it as rigid as possible. No matter how much support you go with it is still wood and without it being fully supported on the bottom it is going to flex and epoxy will Crack and you will have leaks over time. Other than that issue (which is a big one!) The build looks fantastically over built which I love :)
Thank you for your input and I agree with you that if the wood flexes the epoxy will crack and the tank will leak.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Be careful, bulkhead fitting are meant to be wet on one side only (the side with the gasket). The nut side does not have a gasket which will allow the hole to get wet and the wood will swell up and leak between the boards.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store