950 Plywood/Acrylic Build on Wheels!

jsc

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2005
Bethlehem, PA
Every build, success or failure, is a learning experience for all who read this. Keep doing what you think will work and don't stop until it works, no matter how long it takes. Thanks for documenting the process.

wannadivesteve

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2015
Oregon
I appreciate your concern. If I needed a professional I would get one. I don't think you should be comparing concrete cinder blocks to steel bolts and casters. Yes true 6x6's are used for posts, that doesn't mean they wont work as joists, they're usually not needed as joists for most occasions, because its easier to use 2x4/6/8/10/12's. I agree that I am getting good advice here on MFK, I always thank and appreciate everyone's concerns and suggestions.
However, as I mentioned before, it is too late. Just waiting for someone to catch on....
So how long have you had it up and going before starting the thread?

FisheadFrank

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2015
Illinois
I think what bugs me most is the ops inability to accept helpful information. I honestly want this tank to fail just so everyone can say "I told you so". Arrogance
How am I being arrogant?? I've said to every single comment I appreciate your concern and or suggestion. I've accepted everyone's helpful information, it doesn't mean I have to do what they say. Thanks for wanting my tank to fail.....

Reactions: isde02

pdxmonkeyboy

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2016
epdm would be nice although it does tend to show the folds in the corner when working with really big pieces unless your planning to cut and glue.

at any rate, I think it's well past time to stop the whole "dude, it's going to be a catastrophe". He has been warned that things are a little unknown and he acknowledges it.

just DO NOT let the thread go cold if it does fail. I would definately film the filling

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
I feel like there are a few much simpler solutions that would solve your problems - access to the sockets and door. How about moving the door? Or running the electric socket's to a more accessible spot? You could even go as simple as hooking up a surge protector and mounting it on the side of the tank or on the nearby wall. Moving a door or running new electric may sound like a lot, but you're obviously skilled enough to do it, and the nice thing about these solutions is that they don't have the downside of catastrophe. I mean, let's say there's only a 5% chance that your project ends in disaster. Considering how huge the disaster would be it doesn't seem worth it for an emergency that you have expressed is unlikely. It's just risk - reward. Small chance of huge disaster all to avoid an unlikely inconvenience.

In my opinion debating whether it will work or not is pointless. If there is any chance whatsoever that this will fail then you should just go with simpler solutions that achieve the same thing. If you do move forward, I wish you luck, but I strongly recommend you change course now.

pdxmonkeyboy

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2016
...maybe it isn't time for the warnings to stop.

I get the feeling that this thing is going to have wheels, no matter what anyone says. Which is fine really.
It might not work, it might work just fine. Advancements never come by simply following the rules and doing everything similar to everyone else.

Reactions: FisheadFrank

FisheadFrank

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2015
Illinois
I feel like there are a few much simpler solutions that would solve your problems - access to the sockets and door. How about moving the door? Or running the electric socket's to a more accessible spot? You could even go as simple as hooking up a surge protector and mounting it on the side of the tank or on the nearby wall. Moving a door or running new electric may sound like a lot, but you're obviously skilled enough to do it, and the nice thing about these solutions is that they don't have the downside of catastrophe. I mean, let's say there's only a 5% chance that your project ends in disaster. Considering how huge the disaster would be it doesn't seem worth it for an emergency that you have expressed is unlikely. It's just risk - reward. Small chance of huge disaster all to avoid an unlikely inconvenience.

In my opinion debating whether it will work or not is pointless. If there is any chance whatsoever that this will fail then you should just go with simpler solutions that achieve the same thing. If you do move forward, I wish you luck, but I strongly recommend you change course now.
Thank you for your recommendations but due to house plumbing the door can't be moved.

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
I'd love to see some full tank shots once you get the glass in! Also, are you going to add any bracing across the top once the glass goes in? What about a lid? I imagine evaporation will be a concern with so much surface area.

Will the side sump also be on wheels and fastened to the main tank?

FisheadFrank

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2015
Illinois
I'd love to see some full tank shots once you get the glass in! Also, are you going to add any bracing across the top once the glass goes in? What about a lid? I imagine evaporation will be a concern with so much surface area.

Will the side sump also be on wheels and fastened to the main tank?
Will do. Yes we are going to be adding 2x4s as braces across the top. For lids we are going to use green house panels. Yes that would be a lot of evap for an uncovered tank lol. The side tank will be attached to the main tank but not on wheels, its small 18"x9"x12".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store