Best canister filter?

Kaia

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2015
NW Washington
Looking for quieter filtration for my 75 gal. Anyone have a recommendation on a dependable quiet canister filter?

Kaia

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2015
NW Washington
Eheim classics! Not the newer models. Dependable, quiet, and efficient.
Do you know where to get ahold of the older models? I have not seen any for sale since they work so well- reviews show the newer models are pretty brittle and crack easily

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
They still make the classics. You can find them on Amazon for a decent price. Just type in: Eheim Classic Canister Filter. They have different sizes. Bigger the better for your 75 gallon. Or run two of them! Can't go wrong with extra filtration!

I hear FX5's are good. Hit or miss. Or even an off brand like sunsun which is cheap but I hear good things about. I just recommend Eheim classics, because I have never had a problem with them.

Reactions: Kaia

StIcKy~RiCe

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
~ Laos ~
Get fx6...I know it over kill for 75g, but you can always adjust the flow. ITs also benefit for you when you are trying to upgrade the tank to bigger size, you then still have big enough filter for bigger tank.

Reactions: Kaia and ECW

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
You need to decide what you need for your tank. The two flagship ones are classic eheim 2262 and fx6. Eheim holds more bio, fx6 holds more mechanical. The stock size will determine if you even need to go for these two beasts. I was running a FX5 (fx6 predecessor) on my 75g and it did an amazing job. However, I sold it because it was a pain in the butt. The issues I had were:
1) It got air bubbles in it easily that made noise. Lots of tricks to solve this including putting vasoline around the exterior lid. Just a pain though.
2) The fastener were cheap and I broke several from tightenting too tight. I was paranoid about leaks and this cost me.
3) Not a huge fan of the design. Motor is on bottom which could be an issue if you have sand. Also, I found the trays to be a pain to clean. While I never had an eheim, I like the idea of throwing all media in a large bag without dealing with trays. Doesn't get more simple than that.
4) The hoses prevent doing an inline heater without a mod/DYI, which if you aren't handy (like me) could be a problem.

I sold my fx5 when I upgrade to my 180g and have 3 AC110s in play instead. They hold more bio than the fx5 and probably more flow distributed across the tank. However, it is a pain to have to breakdown and clean 3 filters.

If I could do it again from the start, I think I would have paid the extra $ for a eheim 2262 and gotten inline heaters.

Cheaper canisters likes SunSun have been getting good reviews, but the only issue I have with them is the flow. You will probably want to run 2 of the largest on your 75g is my guess depending on stock.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
I love my Marineland 350 magnum, but it might not move enough water for you. It has been running for 15 years with no issues and no noise. Haven't even had to replace an o ring or anything.

Marineland C series is ok.

I have had TERRIBLE experiences with Fluvals. Out of the five I've owned only two made it past 3 years without needing to be completely replaced.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I own an FX6 and two SunSun's. All of them are quiet and for the price you could get 3 SunSun's for the price of a new FX6 and they move a ton of water. I made custom PVC intakes and outputs for mine, they work great.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
I own an FX6 and two SunSun's. All of them are quiet and for the price you could get 3 SunSun's for the price of a new FX6 and they move a ton of water. I made custom PVC intakes and outputs for mine, they work great.
From what I know eheims are the gold standard or were the gold standard when it came to canisters. In the recent years fluval has come around and made a big splash lol I personally wouldn't own any canisters. For a 75 gallon I would do sponge filters there is way too many pros with a sponge filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store