Best canister filter?

samreu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2015
Probably the equivalent of a couple 2217's in filter volume at 4" x 60". How do you have it setup, what are you pushing it wish pump wise? Are you finding filter floss, if you are using any to clog up quickly or sponges, due to the small diameter/size? I used to use a 4" acrylic home-made fluidized bed that was about 20" high and the bio capacity seemed incredible. It was set up through a sump, however as the mechanical first through a simple 1/2" foam and filter floss - worked terrific but I had the unit behind the wall in another room. I also ran for a couple of years a Pentair system - also a cylinder shaped system - smaller than your 4" for sure, probably 2 1/2", but it also was pretty efficient - I used 4 units that were the double units - probably ~ 20" or so - mechanical, bio, heater and UV. It was a good unit but required a fair bit of room behind the tank to service, etc. The days I use large cannisters - on my 180G, 200G and 250G tanks I filter with 1 x 2262, 1 x 2080 and 1 x 2217. They have been bulletproof which has been my experience for many years with Eheim.

EighthNotch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2016
Probably the equivalent of a couple 2217's in filter volume at 4" x 60". How do you have it setup, what are you pushing it wish pump wise? Are you finding filter floss, if you are using any to clog up quickly or sponges, due to the small diameter/size? I used to use a 4" acrylic home-made fluidized bed that was about 20" high and the bio capacity seemed incredible. It was set up through a sump, however as the mechanical first through a simple 1/2" foam and filter floss - worked terrific but I had the unit behind the wall in another room. I also ran for a couple of years a Pentair system - also a cylinder shaped system - smaller than your 4" for sure, probably 2 1/2", but it also was pretty efficient - I used 4 units that were the double units - probably ~ 20" or so - mechanical, bio, heater and UV. It was a good unit but required a fair bit of room behind the tank to service, etc. The days I use large cannisters - on my 180G, 200G and 250G tanks I filter with 1 x 2262, 1 x 2080 and 1 x 2217. They have been bulletproof which has been my experience for many years with Eheim.
I basically copied a design I saw on the internet. It has 3/4" pvc tubing (for the intake and return) and vinyl tubing, there's a pvc union at the top with a ball valve to shut-off and disconnect the intake line so you can unscrew the top & service it. The filter itself has a 3" pvc drain cap inside at the bottom so it keeps all the lava rock from clogging the outlet. It's filled entirely with lava rock almost to the top, then a purigen bag, then a big wad of pillow stuffing for filter floss. I replace the filter floss around once or twice a month, and it usually looks disgusting when I remove it. No clogging issues. The bottom of the filter has the outlet bulkhead connected directly to an inline 1000gph pump, followed by a ball valve to control the flow back to the tank.

I made a smaller version of that filter for my over-stocked 20 gallon. Works like a charm. The only weak spot on this filter are the bulkheads. I used pvc threaded conduit fittings with a gasket on the inside and outside. The top one never leaked, the bottom one seems to always leak and requires a hefty bead of silicone around it. After that though, not a single drop.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
My rena xp's have been awesome. Price is not terrible on sale. Great flow, quiet, tons of media, and a breeze to clean.

I use sunsun 3 tray and 4 tray (can't remember the model number) canisters as well. Flow is not bad, but a tad weaker than advertised with media. They're quiet, hold tons of media, and cost is ridiculously good for what you get. You do have to pay a little more attention aligning your trays/ canister top to prevent a leak, but once you get the feel of it you know exactly how to put it together for a good seal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store