Best canister filter?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
From what I know eheims are the gold standard or were the gold standard when it came to canisters. In the recent years fluval has come around and made a big splash lol I personally wouldn't own any canisters. For a 75 gallon I would do sponge filters there is way too many pros with a sponge filter.
I don't trust sponges enough. sumps and algae scrubbers man, that's where its at.

Reactions: Kaia

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
I don't trust sponges enough. sumps and algae scrubbers man, that's where its at.
Thats what I run in my bigger tank sumps and I don't get any algae anymore so I don't have any scrubbers lol

I have had many tanks setup on sponges mainly due to breeding purposes but they do a wonderful job and cost 10$ for a good one.

A sump for a 75 gallon is a little too much thats why I suggested a sponge filter. I have two sponge filters in my 200 gallon tank in addition to a 50 gallon sump. I mainly have it because of power outage reasons and the fact that when my pump is off when doing water changes the tank never loses filtration plus my small fish if they can't get any food munch of the bacteria or whatever is on that sponge filter to eat.

If you're dead set OP on getting a canister get a eheim or get a sun sun since its much cheaper. I can tell you this though all Canisters virtually do the same damn thing just depends on how much media can fit inside and how easy it is to disassemble.

Good Luck!

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Thats what I run in my bigger tank sumps and I don't get any algae anymore so I don't have any scrubbers lol

I have had many tanks setup on sponges mainly due to breeding purposes but they do a wonderful job and cost 10$ for a good one.

A sump for a 75 gallon is a little too much thats why I suggested a sponge filter. I have two sponge filters in my 200 gallon tank in addition to a 50 gallon sump. I mainly have it because of power outage reasons and the fact that when my pump is off when doing water changes the tank never loses filtration plus my small fish if they can't get any food munch of the bacteria or whatever is on that sponge filter to eat.

If you're dead set OP on getting a canister get a eheim or get a sun sun since its much cheaper. I can tell you this though all Canisters virtually do the same damn thing just depends on how much media can fit inside and how easy it is to disassemble.

Good Luck!
Disassemble and cleaning is huge. This my biggest issue because I have such limited time. I think the eheim will be much easier to clean due to no trays. I have heard the SunSun are easy to clean but they follow the same tray system and FX6 so I don't but that.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Disassemble and cleaning is huge. This my biggest issue because I have such limited time. I think the eheim will be much easier to clean due to no trays. I have heard the SunSun are easy to clean but they follow the same tray system and FX6 so I don't but that.
Yes it is. This is why I don't have canisters. It takes me 20 seconds to take out my polyfill my mechanical filtration and swap it out. Thats all. I do that every three days and my tank is crystal clear. I have 4-5 times the media a FX6 can hold in my sump.

Things break over time I would never want a canister to break on me. A sump if it breaks it won't do anything it won't leak and flood your house.

Once you go sump you can't really say canisters are even half as good.

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
I had a Marineland C360 in the past. Pretty much same design as the Sunsuns as far as the trays go. The C360 took me a little longer to clean than my Eheim 2262 that is double the size. Overall, I was less than impressed with the Marineland. I'd probably buy a Sunsun for half the cost before I bought another Marineland. But yeah, sumps are WAY easier and nicer than canisters imo.

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
I have always used eheims. I had a eheim 2080 for close to 4 years and then upgraded to an eheim 2280 thermofilter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store