Dawkinsia, denisonii & other colorful barbs at Fish Story

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Ideal and peaceful community fish turn out to bite tails of Phalacronotus sp Giant Siamese Glass Catfish:

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Dawkinsia barbs are great. I recently inherited one rohani from a friend moving house which would apparently nip at congo tetras fins. The congos were somewhat mangled when they got here but a month later have regrown their fins in spite of the rohani staying with them in my tank. Only thing i could discern is that he kept his tank in the high 80s for whatever reason and my tank is room temperature 70-75F.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Our tank temps are 72-78F for half a year and 78-86F for the other half. The adult Dawkinsia barb was rescued about 5 years ago and lived in this temp regime.

I need to learn their species ID too as I am a newbie with them. Are they easy to tell apart reliably? Is their taxonomy clear?

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I believe your fin nipper is a male Filamentosa. It's more popular Cousin is the "Mascara Barb", which is more or less a Filamentosa with a black blotch on It's eyes.
The Rohani of course you are dealing with now.
I believe there are a couple of other Dawkinsia species.
It's been my experience that Dawkinsia are very durable & adaptable Barbs. They are voracious eaters and will eat just about anything you throw at them.
The males are more colorful & little larger than the females. The males also have black Filament rays laced in their dorsal fin, which becomes more pronounced when chasing females. Great species to keep.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Truly beautiful fish; I've never owned or even seen any, but they are stunners.

I think that esoxlucius esoxlucius has a group of these in his big community tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store