Dawkinsia, denisonii & other colorful barbs at Fish Story

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
A fantastic group of barbs.
When very (<1”) small, filaments start with vertical stripes, so I assume so do mascara barbs and rohini.
when small (1-2”) the vertical stripes fade and filaments and mascara will be very difficult to tell between which is which.
Around 2” it should be easier to tell all three apart.
Rohini- no tail colours, body extended tear drop shape at base of tail.
Filaments- black and red tail spots - body a short tear drop shape at base of tail
Mascara- black and red tail spots - body an extended tear drop shape at base of tail

As they get larger still the filaments will grow on the dorsal of male filament barbs and the eye spots will extend on mascara barbs with the males getting their lipstick and real prominent colouring. (Although they make it harder as the males can also grow dorsal filaments).
looking to pick up tambraparniei but at the minute all the shops have are albinos which in my mind don’t look anything like as stunning.

Dawkensia have to be my favourite group of medium size barbs.
my filaments bred last year and I will be looking to breed them again soon but really want to breed my mascaras when they get mature enough.

A group that can cover quite a range of temperatures with Dawkensia denisonii going as low as 15 deg c and thought to breed at lower temperatures.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Our first ever dawkinsia, a rescue from 10 years ago, unexpectedly died, probably around 13yo, 7 inches. Is this an expected lifespan of theirs? Or is it premature?

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I think your Dawkinsia Barb just re-wrote the general expectations of life span and size of the species.
IMO, Four to five years and five inches were a pretty good estimate for the Dawkinsias.
My Filamentosas are nearly five years old. The males are 4.5 inches, the females are a little smaller. I started losing some of my group at the three year mark. I began with thirteen Filamentosas & now down to six.
I think your fish is one for the record book. Great job of fishkeepering.
20230730_203617.jpg

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I believe the expected lifespan for rohani barbs is around the 7 year mark, so according to whoever set that 7 year figure, yours has done very well.

We see quite a few examples on here of captive fish which have exceeded the "expected lifespan". Is it because what we read in the first place is plain wrong, or should we give ourselves a congratulatory pat on the back for keeping our fish alive for longer than the "experts" have said is normal? As time goes by I think the record books will change regularly on most common species in the hobby.

I mean look at Redshark1 Redshark1 clown loach. 10 years is what we are told, so 15 would be a real stretch, right? Well he's are still going strong at 30!!!

Filaments expected lifespan is around 10 years. I still have my original six, they're around 5 years old and a good 6" apiece.

Redshark1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2017
Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
Well done Viktor you are somebody I look up to and admire. You show your triumphs and occasionally failures so we all learn. Its a fascinating project you share with us.

We don't often know the normal lifespan to be expected because the data is hard to come by.

I know a bit about Clown Loaches. Most Clown Loaches don't die of old age. They die of neglect, Whitespot/Ich, tank leaks, heater failures, filter failures and a hundred other causes.

Owners of old fish often didn't get to find out how old their big fish were at purchase time.

Even though mine are 30 years old for certain, it seems that this is not a normal expectation. Most old Clown Loach deaths reported to me were in their early to mid 20s. I know of one other 30 year old still alive whose owner I converse with and one that died aged 32 in 2018 whose owner I discussed it with.

A billion Clown Loaches have been exported officially (with paperwork) from Indonesia during the period I have had mine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store