Dawkinsia, denisonii & other colorful barbs at Fish Story

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Apparently there are currently around 11 species in the Dawkinsia family. I've only ever kept the filament barbs, I have half a dozen in my 360 com tank, which, as you can see from the video below, is very busy, lol. Usually it is quite placid but unsurprisingly they all start going mad for food when I'm in front of the tank.

You can clearly see the filament barbs. They are getting on a bit now and are each pushing 6".

I can't comment on any fin nipping as I've never experienced it with mine. But I can certainly believe it, especially if they're not kept in the right size of group.

I think anyone who's ever kept any of the Dawkinsia family, and we have many on the forum, will all agree that they are a great species. Beautiful and extremely hardy.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you Esox. Great info and I love this tank. What are the striped beauties with red fins?

Reactions: esoxlucius

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Thank you Esox. Great info and I love this tank. What are the striped beauties with red fins?
I think you're referring to my Borneo redfinned silver sharks (Cyclocheilichthys janthochir). They are indeed a beautiful fish.

Anyway Victor, what is it with the small fish you're getting at the minute. I never had you down as a tiddler guy, lol.

Whatever next? Maybe change your name to "thesmallerthebetter", lol.IMG_20220323_192915_HDR.jpgIMG_20220323_192634_HDR.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The ones in your video have visible multiple stripes and no defined lateral black stripe like in the photos but there are none other so I think yes, I was asking about these fish. Never heard of them before either.

The small stuff is for a little diversity and for sale for a bit of extra support here. Just dabbling and experimenting. Plus gotta love the colors on the these fish.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
The ones in your video have visible multiple stripes and no defined lateral black stripe like in the photos
Ah, my mistake. Now you mention "visible multiple stripes" I realise you are referring to my Beardless barbs, Cyclocheilichthys apogon. They're not actual stripes, more like lines of dots. These also are a beautiful fish.

IMG_20230102_173722_HDR.jpg

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Ideal and peaceful community fish turn out to bite tails of Phalacronotus sp Giant Siamese Glass Catfish:

Watched this the other day, thought to myself hmmm… never would have imagined a filamentosis being such a fin nipper to a catfish… i have a 9-10 yr old one with me. Looks just like urs…fast forward to today… just caught the bugger eating the tail fin of my 36” albino lung fish. Unbelievable! They’ve been together for 2+ yrs. I about threw the barb in the yard haha… he did quite a bit of damage to my surprise. Ate down a 10-12” section of fin maybe 1/8-1/4” deep.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store