Do You Give Your Fish Names?

Do you give your fish names?

• Total voters

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I used to name them all - somehow I still remember all the names I came up with when I was younger.
That doesn’t stop me from referring to all of them by their species though (except the clownfish, those are in a league of their own).
At this point any new addition usually doesn’t get a name unless they have enough of a personality/presence to get one.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I certainly don’t name individual fish within shoals or groups (tetras, Cory’s, guppies, Otos). However, my wife and I have come up with names for individual silver dollars (currently 12 in two tanks, and one new one in qt), because it makes easier to talk about them among us, referring to individual fish, which we do often. And then, 2 Cory’s were born at two different times, first Dory and then Lori. The other fish don’t have names.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I voted NO because I don't personally give them names myself...I mean, they're fish...but many of them over the years have been formally named by friends and family members. Others have sort of developed descriptive names just to make referring to them less cumbersome.

I've also had a few species that were crowned with "group names" that referred to the pair or trio or even a bunch of them as a whole, rather than as individuals...The Borg, The Three Amigos, The Ghost and the Darkness, The Golden Horde, probably others as well. These names are among my favourites, but I didn't choose them myself.

Where's FINWIN FINWIN ? I keep suggesting that she should name some of her fish, but she adamantly refuses. I tell ya, she can be cold sometimes...:)

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
LOL.

I name key fish with personality and the "It" factor. But I don't name the entire herd of hrps...would be pretty pointless and confusing. One, distinguishing that many is a mess and two...if they're gonna be donated I won't name them. I'll leave that to their future keepers. And three...some fish are bland with little personality so there's nothing to latch on to. (Just like any other specie, heh). Some of the hrps are like that...just mill around. Huey and Hugo were boring asf (all they did was eat and hide) so they got donated. I've got enough Baby - Chancos as it is. So they brought nothing to the table.

Some people don't name dogs or cats either, so it's whatever floats your boat. Just sayin'

But there are plans, plans...and future names. I have a punch list. Whatever fits those fish I will use. The fish I do name are generally 'different'. Just like any specie some are dumb, average, or very smart.

Sometimes I wait on a name until I get a better feel for one...sometimes I'm inspired by behavior, color, shape or personality. I had two classmates in school we called "boy and girl." Bwa haaah

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I never name my fish, but my family do, with amusing consequences too! My big bruiser of a male RTGG was named Tinkerbell because he looked so cute when he was 2", and before I could determine gender.

When I did eventually sex him, it was too late to rename him, so until the day of his death almost 10 years later my wife always thought he was a girl!!

She did sort of pick up on it though. One time she commented, "she sure is ugly for a girl, why can't the girls be pretty?" Lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store