Do You Give Your Fish Names?

Do you give your fish names?

• Total voters

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
At this point any new addition usually doesn’t get a name unless they have enough of a personality/presence to get one.
This is what I do ^

Unless they have a big presence or big personality, no name.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I give most medium to larger fish names. Tetras and cories (unless I only have a few of them, like the Brochis cories, in which case I just simply name them a band/group, the brochis cories were the Beatles) don't get names. I don't want to try to figure out which is which, lol. But then again, while I do name my fish, I usually don't call them by their names, I just refer to them by their species name (ie. Raphs, Gouramis, Acaras, etc.).

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
No*

*there have been a few over the years who got a sarcastic name or name due to a concern to differentiate them, a giant danio named scoliosis as in, " wow scoliosis is nearly bent in half but still swimming laps 2 years later) another called fat lip,
Then there was a violet goby named big earl and a blue cray named Lobby by my kids, but that's pretty much it over a couple decades.

Sinister-Kisses

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
Selectively, hell yes. If I'm going to have a big personable fish for 10-15 years why wouldn't I name it? No different than naming a dog or a cat. So my big, obviously individual fish like my midas, argenteus, fenestratus, etc. do have names. My tank full of angelfish and rams and tetras? Nadda. My group of juvenile heterospila? Not now, can't tell the buggers apart lol. When they eventually mature and I get a pair formed and pull the rest, the pair I keep will get names.

My bettas and my goldfish all get names, always. The exception was when I was BREEDING bettas and had hundreds in my fish room at a time. But even then, my adult "keepers" had names.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Nope… im superstitious
😂
💀
… name and die
Lol, I actually have avoided naming some fish for that very reason. It's funny because I consider myself logical and I think believing in them isn't but I can't help myself when it comes to some superstitions.

I don’t - but my 7 and 5 y/olds name every fish I bring into the house.

Really ups the pressure to make sure every fish I take home can live with me for their entire lifespan, if need be. Or at least until the kids age out of caring.
I can definitely feel that. I deal with the same, a cute little girl that names every fish and is always checking on them, talk about pressure.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
My grandkids have assigned names to various fish over the years. My 12 yr old midas was named big brain yrs ago. Seemed logical, large nuchal hump = large brain. I'm ok with that. On a recent visit our 11 yr old granddaughter looked at the 2 younger boys while they were admiring the midas, and proclaimed "I've known Big Brain my whole life". As though they barely knew him. I thought that was funny.

But personally, I generally don't attach names to animals that will never understand or learn to respond to that name.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
When they achieve Wet pet status yes. A pig pack of catfish, fry nope. Heck I even name my cars, lol. My Envoy was named Grace, after Grace Jones, if you are old enough you know. Elegant and beautiful, but step on the skinny pedal and turns viscous just like she could.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store