Do You Give Your Fish Names?

Do you give your fish names?

• Total voters

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
As per the consensus. Only certain fish receive the honor.
1713201959050.jpeg
such as Leroy, my studly red terror male (forgive his drab colors, he is still angry after being in bucket prison)
Or my friend turkey, bestowed the name since he ate a piece of turkey sub
1713202086183.jpeg
if my other fish were noteworthy, perhaps they would receive a name.
Two caveats
Hybrids and goldfish, since they are abominations of nature, Should always have a distinct name. This is to prevent issues with common name mixups and the fact they do not have a Latin name. Also because any hybrid or goldfish worthy to be taken home usually deserves a distinct title.

and you are to never name sensitive fish. They will die to spite you if you do.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Yup, and Leonardo de Fishio will forever be chasing Adonis on our gate. The chunk missing from Adonis's tail is the exact shape of Leonardo's mouth. Fortunately, the missing chunk regenerated years ago.

1713217512558.png

1713217544863.png

Leonardo's name was an evolution. I named him Leo, because he was king of the tank, and after eating, he would get really rambunctious and herd all the other fish into one corner of the tank. My husband then called him "Leonard" which morphed in Leonardo de Fishio. Adonis got his name because he was so handsome. Funny thing is that MANY years later after doing online research, it turns out that my pacu are actually females. Great thing that they can be whatever I identify them to be. After 19 years, "Donna" and "Leah" just don't cut it for me. My boys will always be my boys.

Leonardo - so very interested in everything happening inside and outside of his tank. Extremely curious about the world. Both fish swim around with their mouths moving like teenagers chewing gum with their mouths open (and no, they are not gasping because of nitrite or ammonia in their tank). They push each other out of the way for petting. Husband calls them our labrador retrievers.

1713218161877.png

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
As I mentioned previously most of my fish are named by my little one, but I have named 2 and my "other half" has named one as well. One I named Rapps after Jeff Rapps a Hemibagrus Filamentus. It was one of the last fish I bought from Jeff and I was going to miss our occasional chats so I named the fish in honor of him. Unfortunately, after 6 years my Tachysurus decided one day the Fila would look better with one eye. It was gory and heartbreaking, luckily the Fila survived and is still with me.

The little one names the fish the minute they arrive. I still remember every name and so does she easily identifying them. First was that PITA Tachysurus who's called Grandpa fish because apparently, he looks like my Father. Then a Flowerhorn named Lily. I still remember my initial reaction to that one "What!? No! He's a boy fish and he's mean." "but Daddy he's so pretty" I grumbled to myself and said fine. What're you going to do. So, this tough guys name is Lily, ah well. Lol There are others and some with even more atrocious names like Globy the Platinum RTC/TSN. Again my initial reaction was "What!? No!" all I could think is kid do you know how much this fish cost me? All she said was "but Daddy" and I begrudgingly acquiesced. I did say though kid you gotta let me have some of the fish, okay? She said yes but I know that's a pipe dream. Lol

Only one did her Mom beat her to the punch. It was straight up a jealousy thing too about how much I spent on the fish. So, the fishes name is a reflection of his price and she posted it to FB so she could complain to anyone who asked about the fish and odd name. :irked::grinno: It's cool though she's actually really supportive of my hobby. I guess I just went a little too far with that one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store