Fahaka Puffer..so far!

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
wait what ? do u think he is gone eat the puffer? I know that they are carnivorous but i didnt know that they were agressive enough to go after something alive
No No! I've just noticed him kinda tackle the puffer when they fight over the same piece of food, and I was worried the spikes would hurt the puffer (it's and L096 Cactus pleco).

• Wow
Reactions: neko1

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
i dont think so, should be fine. Im more worried about the pleco tbh. Most of the time with puffers it goes okay, if the puffer has a nasty attitude he will take a bite out the pleco.
But if your puffer has been a longer time with him, the puffer should be really nice

Reactions: quasar

FahakaPapa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2015
Manitoba, Canada
Getting some driftwood is a good idea... but to be honest, I think he just needs a little "home". All I have in my tank is one rock structure (3 pieces made into a cave) and this is where she parks herself at night. During the day when I'm around she constantly swims around, either trying to fight her reflection or begging for more food. You have plenty of filtration, which is awesome. As far as the pleco goes... I'd have the same worry as you with the spikes on the pleco. Even if the puffer attacked the pleco, it's armour would protect it I'm pretty sure. Hope you enjoy your Fahaka! Mine is going on 12 years old, so I hope you're ready and into it for the long haul! :goldfish::headbang2:naughty:

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Getting some driftwood is a good idea... but to be honest, I think he just needs a little "home". All I have in my tank is one rock structure (3 pieces made into a cave) and this is where she parks herself at night. During the day when I'm around she constantly swims around, either trying to fight her reflection or begging for more food. You have plenty of filtration, which is awesome. As far as the pleco goes... I'd have the same worry as you with the spikes on the pleco. Even if the puffer attacked the pleco, it's armour would protect it I'm pretty sure. Hope you enjoy your Fahaka! Mine is going on 12 years old, so I hope you're ready and into it for the long haul! :goldfish::headbang2:naughty:
I do love it, the wife does too so definitely easier to keep it around haha.

I figured the pots would work but he prefers to just sit there. Hopefully that arch looking thing I but helps.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
lol you think a pleco armor is gone protect something? a shell or mantle from a snail or an exoskeleton from a crayfish or crab is way way harder then that pleco. And they eat those like butter. If the puffer wants to attack the pleco he is diner. No doubt.

But if ur lucky ur puffer has a friendly behaviour and he doesn't bother with the pleco.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
I read on here that when plecos get hurt its their eyes that get bitten out.
thats mostly pea puffers, since they are to small to actually bite anything. I heard the same about botia species sucking the eyes out of fish

FahakaPapa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2015
Manitoba, Canada
lol you think a pleco armor is gone protect something? a shell or mantle from a snail or an exoskeleton from a crayfish or crab is way way harder then that pleco. And they eat those like butter. If the puffer wants to attack the pleco he is diner. No doubt.

But if ur lucky ur puffer has a friendly behaviour and he doesn't bother with the pleco.
Ya… I’ve had one for 12 years bud. But they aren’t going to do anything to it other than nip at its fins which are covered with spikes and armour. So ya, I think it’ll be fine.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Ya… I’ve had one for 12 years bud. But they aren’t going to do anything to it other than nip at its fins which are covered with spikes and armour. So ya, I think it’ll be fine.
i think it still really depends on the behaviour. If u got a mean one he can bite threw it.

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
i think it still really depends on the behaviour. If u got a mean one he can bite threw it.
Do you find they get angrier as they age? The Fahaka right now is surprisingly docile, the only thing it has massacred is snails. I have guppies in the tank and I know they're reproducing without issue since I'm seeing babies haha.

Did I find a pacifist Fahaka or is it just a ticking time bomb?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store