Fahaka Puffer..so far!

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
what does the discription say? whats added? oil, salt, e-numbers?
If its just water it might be fine to be honest. Would be smart. But you can also just buy a box of crabs or crayfish in a chinese supermarket for real cheap.
I've read that as well, I'll see what the markets here in Montreal have to offer.

As for the baby clams:

Ingredients:
BABY CLAMS, WATER, SALT, DISODIUM PYROPHOSPHATE, CITRIC ACID, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA.

The nutrition facts show 300mg per 56g. So in the entire can there's about 900mg, or 0.9g of salt. I'd assume once you drain the water it's even less. Would this be a safe option? I'd like it as well just to include as some variety for my puffer (and for the teeth). Although would crab shells be enough for teeth grinding on fahakas?

FahakaPapa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2015
Manitoba, Canada
I've read that as well, I'll see what the markets here in Montreal have to offer.

As for the baby clams:

Ingredients:
BABY CLAMS, WATER, SALT, DISODIUM PYROPHOSPHATE, CITRIC ACID, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA.

The nutrition facts show 300mg per 56g. So in the entire can there's about 900mg, or 0.9g of salt. I'd assume once you drain the water it's even less. Would this be a safe option? I'd like it as well just to include as some variety for my puffer (and for the teeth). Although would crab shells be enough for teeth grinding on fahakas?
Crabs are good, they're nice and crunchy (you can hear mine crunch them across the room. But quick disclaimer; they're so freaking messy. I would suggest mussels on the half shell before crab.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016

As for the baby clams:

Ingredients:

should be safe. Dont feed it every day do.

Reactions: quasar

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
So, it's been over 4 months since I bought my lil buddy! So far so good.

I managed to find a local Snail breeder and basically I buy his "reject" snails for a bulk price. So my Fahaka basically eats snails and shrimp which seems to keep the chonk.

I was wondering. My water parameters seem fine but should I get more filtration? I currently have the fish in a 130g with an FX6+ 2 x AC110+ a large hydor sponge filter. Or am I just over thinking it?

IMG_20220419_160409.jpg
Here's a lil attack on a snail

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So, it's been over 4 months since I bought my lil buddy! So far so good.

I managed to find a local Snail breeder and basically I buy his "reject" snails for a bulk price. So my Fahaka basically eats snails and shrimp which seems to keep the chonk.

I was wondering. My water parameters seem fine but should I get more filtration? I currently have the fish in a 130g with an FX6+ 2 x AC110+ a large hydor sponge filter. Or am I just over thinking it?

View attachment 1493206
Here's a lil attack on a snail

You may have to add more biomedia and larger wc's as the Fahaka Puffer grows.

FahakaPapa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2015
Manitoba, Canada
I think you have plenty of filtration, but it really all depends on your feeding/maintenance schedule. I feed mine 3 times a week or so (she's almost 12) so doesn't need the feedings of a younger, growing specimen. I also do a 75% water change once a week and it's a 166 gallon tank with a 60 gallon sump, so I have a lot of bio-media. Keep your water change schedule up and test biweekly. If the nitrates stay under 20, you're fine. If it's going way over, start pulling back on feeding (if your amounts allows it) or up your water changes. Once that doesn't work, look into more filtration. A single FX6 and 2 AC110's seem like a lot on that size of a tank. Always just my opinion. ???

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
I think you have plenty of filtration, but it really all depends on your feeding/maintenance schedule. I feed mine 3 times a week or so (she's almost 12) so doesn't need the feedings of a younger, growing specimen. I also do a 75% water change once a week and it's a 166 gallon tank with a 60 gallon sump, so I have a lot of bio-media. Keep your water change schedule up and test biweekly. If the nitrates stay under 20, you're fine. If it's going way over, start pulling back on feeding (if your amounts allows it) or up your water changes. Once that doesn't work, look into more filtration. A single FX6 and 2 AC110's seem like a lot on that size of a tank. Always just my opinion. ???
Too much is better than me thinking I had too little haha.

Reactions: MetalRavioli

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
So, it'll soon be a year since I got my little 4" fahaka, and he's chonked up (or she, no clue tbh).

Here's a day 1 pic and a today pic! I have to say I expected the Fahaka to already be 12" by this time, the stuff I read seemed to say that these things grow crazy fast. I've been feeding mine thawed shrimp and a bunch of snails (apple, mystery, ramshorns). I made friends with a local breeder and he sells me his "reject" snails in bulk.

316508100_823502552192655_1766452703463707405_n.jpg

316538832_1739557479777942_3796404511568820054_n.jpg

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
IME, Good water quality and plenty of good food provides the best growth rates. You could also try chunks of swai or tilapia, Earthworms, superworms, stuff like that to vary it's diet a little bit more. You can gutload the earthworms and superworms if your so inclined.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store