MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
so anyway, went out for Flatheads today w/ my younger cousin and oen of my buddys. Got 6 total, my buddy got the fish of the day, 34"L, 20" G, 16lbs 5oz. and he also got 26"L, 15.5"G, 7lbs 4oz and a 23"L, 13"G, 4lbs 5oz.....

my cousin got two that were 29"L, 16"G and one weighed 9lbs, 10oz. and the other was 9lbs. 14oz. - just shy of 10lbs.

I wasn't really out for myself, I just wanted my cousin to have fun, see him catch a few big ones and have a learning experience since he was trying to get into fishing w/ his friends but didn't really know much about it and it was the 1st time he's been fishing w/ me since 2005 when he was 8 or 9 years old, so I just ended up "catching" one Channel cat.

I only even did that because the rod almost flew off the stand into the water and I just ran over and grabbed it on reaction, other wise I would have let him do it. I forgot to even measure it, but I put it on the scale at least and it was 5lbs 14oz.

Got pix, waiting for them in the e-mail

Oddballs

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
United States
Correct castle, my gf came to visit and I took her commercial rockfishing and lingcod. That bad boy grabbed onto a 15lb yelloweye and I free gaffed it. Ended up measuring out at 51in which is around 55 to 60lbs. Monster toothy fish and ya the coho bite was hot for a while until the blue sharks showed up. El nino still has messed up the water still. Halibut fishing was insane in one day I let go 3 60lbers and 2 over 150lbs. It was tough letting those go.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Correct castle, my gf came to visit and I took her commercial rockfishing and lingcod. That bad boy grabbed onto a 15lb yelloweye and I free gaffed it. Ended up measuring out at 51in which is around 55 to 60lbs. Monster toothy fish and ya the coho bite was hot for a while until the blue sharks showed up. El nino still has messed up the water still. Halibut fishing was insane in one day I let go 3 60lbers and 2 over 150lbs. It was tough letting those go.
What is the regulations on size and creel w/ your local SW-Fishing? Is there a vessel limit for them or is it per-person??

Are you guys still having problems w/ the Northern Pike up there? I remember my uncles went up there Salmon Fishing and they said it got cancelled cuz there was no Salmon except in the Pike's belly-contents and I saw a program shortly after w/ biologists catching and euthanizing pikes after dissection

Oddballs

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
United States
So the regulations vary through out Alaska. Where I was chartering silver salmon is 6 per person. There is no boat fishing amount but per person so if one person catch's 6 silvers they are maxed out. The lingcod my gf caught was caught commercial so only a minimum size limit. Normal charter or sport it's 30 to 35ins or over 55, halibut is the same way 43 in and under or over 80. I had gone fun fishing for the halibut so the size restrictions didn't apply on the halibut. It's a lot of rules to keep track of bit when your ass and job is on the line gotta make sure your all the way legal

Oddballs

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
United States
So the regulations vary through out Alaska. Where I was chartering silver salmon is 6 per person. There is no boat fishing amount but per person so if one person catch's 6 silvers they are maxed out. The lingcod my gf caught was caught commercial so only a minimum size limit. Normal charter or sport it's 30 to 35ins or over 55, halibut is the same way 43 in and under or over 80. I had gone fun fishing for the halibut so the size restrictions didn't apply on the halibut. It's a lot of rules to keep track of bit when your ass and job is on the line gotta make sure your all the way legal

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
and the Pike?

Oddballs

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
United States
and the Pike?
Sorry about that I thought I had replied to that. Pike haven't made it over to Sitka yet. Most of the salmon fishing we do is saltwater off the coast. As far as I know there are no pike in the lakes and streams around where I work and fish. I have heard that Fairbanks has a big issue and Anchorage but that's farther up and inland then me. I am on a island more in the southwest corner in between Ketchikan and Juneau.

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Papio coming in pretty hard with the influx of oama. Caught 4 bluefin trevally right out of the gate and decided to switch tactics for some oio (bonefish). Hooked into a monster that emptied the reel... Ended up missing two and landing a nice thick one around 7-8 lbs. All fish were caught on 4 lb test main line and 6 lb test leader.

image.jpeg

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Nice. From what side of the island?.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store