Future of the Ray Keeping Hobby?

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
Interesting thread. My family moved 4 years ago, and I sold my rays and tank just prior to us moving as I didn't want to mess with moving the tank and fish multiple times. I do miss keeping rays. Some of you remember I mainly kept and bred hystrix rays (hopefully there are a few of my pups still around).

I would agree ray keeping is not what it used to be. No doubt ray keeping is expensive to start and maintain. Perhaps this is one reason why there seems to be a decline. I never did it for the money. I would guess I sold enough pups to recover what I paid for my tank setup.

It seemed about the time I got out of rays the traffic in this forum started to slow. I think several of the big name ray keepers that were here shifted to Facebook groups. I don't do FB- is there as much ray activity there now?

I'm not a fan of hybrid rays. But, like any other fish or pet, that seems to be the way things go. This drives the market. IMO, a classic Leo is the best looking black ray.
There is a few names that come to mind with ray keeping on FB. Most of them are overseas and there are a few big name farms that post their work but not as much based in the USA as one would hope, or at least that have been public about it

Reactions: tlindsey

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Interesting thread. My family moved 4 years ago, and I sold my rays and tank just prior to us moving as I didn't want to mess with moving the tank and fish multiple times. I do miss keeping rays. Some of you remember I mainly kept and bred hystrix rays (hopefully there are a few of my pups still around).

I would agree ray keeping is not what it used to be. No doubt ray keeping is expensive to start and maintain. Perhaps this is one reason why there seems to be a decline. I never did it for the money. I would guess I sold enough pups to recover what I paid for my tank setup.

It seemed about the time I got out of rays the traffic in this forum started to slow. I think several of the big name ray keepers that were here shifted to Facebook groups. I don't do FB- is there as much ray activity there now?

I'm not a fan of hybrid rays. But, like any other fish or pet, that seems to be the way things go. This drives the market. IMO, a classic Leo is the best looking black ray.
FB was “hot” for a few yrs… Alot of members here stayed in touch there. I believe what killed the FB fish market was their ban on live animal/pet sales. You can still sell as a vendor or legitimate business, but no more private sales. Honestly surprised this place has not kicked back up a bit since then.

Chet E.

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2021
Minnesota
Responsibility.
If a small group of folks worked cooperatively rays could remain in the hobby indefinitely (pure breeds). However, I've not heard of maintenance programs actually happening. Rays live for decades. The commitment is real. Individuals must network with others. Forums help. Clubs help. But what is necessary is life long cross-generational friendships.
In my experience, none of the fish I maintain are the least bit popular. Breeding them is always costly and I no longer try to be profitable. I grow up the best quality I'm able, pick some for the next generation, and trade the rest to an LFS. But even from a maintenance perspective, my fish are not interesting. Rays are interesting and there's a small number of species. If any fish could be maintained rays should be it. But at what cost?
An LFS here in Minnesota breeds rays in house. I do most of my business there. It's a 70 mile round trip. The owners breed pure and cross strains. I'd love to support their work... but my interest is with tetras.
I believe that this is the level of commitment necessary to continue the hobby in general. It's a lot of work. It's a thankless task. I do my part. I support others to help them be profitable. LFS's.
But really, I serve my own self interests. My focus is Hemiodidae. Mine is a lonely club. I've kept them, studied them, one day I'll study their fry, raise them up, share them...
I can't wait to show the world how... or help others beat me on the way.
Merry Christmas.

j-lor

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2007
Milwaukee
Seems like once covid ht most of the ogs sold or lost insterest in rays. For me I got out because I like marlbes but the upkeep and expense made it not worth it. You need a monster tank, large weekly water changes which made it feel like a chore, they eat better than me and electricity to run a large tank isn't cheap plus hardly anyone wants to buy marble pups or if they do, only at bargain bin prices. Also your water needs to be great for rays to thrive, all it takes is ammonia spike or power going out and thousands down the drain.

Last edited:

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
most "hobbies" dwindle when the economy starts to tank. no pun intended. where i live 8 years ago you could get motoro pups for under $100 on the regular. even pet stores were selling for 50-100$ now in the same market with a hurting economy people want $500 for that stingray. most people arent going to make that kind of monetary jump. i know i wont. asian arowana here have got cheaper in alot of cases. so the local stores seem to be holding more of them then they use to.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
most "hobbies" dwindle when the economy starts to tank. no pun intended. where i live 8 years ago you could get motoro pups for under $100 on the regular. even pet stores were selling for 50-100$ now in the same market with a hurting economy people want $500 for that stingray. most people arent going to make that kind of monetary jump. i know i wont. asian arowana here have got cheaper in alot of cases. so the local stores seem to be holding more of them then they use to.
Must not live in the states..... lol. Flippers be slinging mutts for moto money for a while now..... "Black diamond" hybrids for a few hundred bucks all day long. Can't find trustworthy sources for pure blooded rays to save your life - unless you have connections or are financially "gifted".

This Hobby has become the equivelant of a new mustang..... IF the person that worked most with them (Shelby) knew what was going on today he'd roll over in his grave..... And people wonder why all the OGs are leaving? Blame it on the economy IF you want but IF you're an og then MFKing is a lifestyle - unphased by anything..... In my opinion the reason the OGs are leaving has nothing to do with the economy it has to do with a lack of respect for what the hobby should stand for.

Reactions: Bsixxx

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
Quite the opposite actually, at least in the states. Prices have crashed, and I can find albino rays without any difficulty for 400 all day long. Mutt rays are cheaper and cheaper by the day, and without any standards for breeding in Asia, mutt rays flood the market at cheap prices pushing out pure or well bred rays for the sake of being cheap.

Reactions: wednesday13

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
prices dropped tremendously! Pre covid era these motoros would cost 60-80!!

73250C03-2383-446F-82FF-8F6A05BACF5F.png

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Quite the opposite actually, at least in the states. Prices have crashed, and I can find albino rays without any difficulty for 400 all day long. Mutt rays are cheaper and cheaper by the day, and without any standards for breeding in Asia, mutt rays flood the market at cheap prices pushing out pure or well bred rays for the sake of being cheap.
time to start a buisness scouping them up state side and selling them in canada then. cheapest i can find here is 299 before shipping.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store