Future of the Ray Keeping Hobby?

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Why are the prices of rays dropping? Is it due to low demand cause hard to keep?

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
Why are the prices of rays dropping? Is it due to low demand cause hard to keep?
No breeding standards overseas, so the market is getting flooded with mutts, cheap rays by design, are now even cheaper due to a large influx of them into the market. You can get very attractive looking hybrid pups, but a lot quickly get ugly, or fail to thrive as adults.

• Wow
Reactions: Caveden

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
yea I don't know prices on rays drop all the time saw a bd hybrid for 150 still not sold
yea its really all over the place. theres a motoro hybrid for sale on here for $500.
i just think people are throwing numbers around at this point. if anyone wants to meet me at the ontario boarder id be happy to buy some cheap rays. even mutts

Fades&Feesh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2022
Utah
Only thing keeping me away from raising stingrays is how difficult they are to keep for a newbie to ray keeping like me. Any other fishes I am able to keep for long term, without difficulties. I have kept 5 pearl, motoro and hybrid stingrays before. None of them lasted more than 7 months under my care. My fault of course. I tried ray keeping for more than 2 years and finally gave up to switch to keeping bichirs.
think if scobinas, reticulated and mini marbled motoros weren’t so expensive and rare within the hobby there would be more ray keepers. Reason many people are unable to maintain larger sizes aquariums.

for the future of the ray keeping hobby I don’t see it lasting in general. I’ve seen the prices of these stingrays dropping because nobody wants to own them. When I first started monsterfish keeping 3 years ago price of motoros were $50, now I can find them at the mere price of $30.
How’s they keep dying? And how are you finding them for 30 bucks haha

stratos

Dovii
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
In addition to all of the other observations made (influx of cheap mutt rays, energy inflation, etc.), I think demographics are playing a role too.

As the Baby Boomers age out of the big fish hobby, I think the hobby will decline. I've seen quite a few boomer hobbyists retire from active big fish keeping. They get old enough that the maintenance is just too much work. Or they get sick or die. As until very recently the largest demographic, the boomers leaving the hobby is having an impact. Generation X is a far smaller demographic than the boomers and so can not pick up all the slack. Boomers tend to have more $$$ too, and are more likely to have the home space needed for big fish keeping.

As for the Millennials/GenY? I think they are in general less into fish and more into computers; further I think they are less likely to have the home space or discretionary income needed to keep big fish like rays.

Another factor contributing to the decline of stingray keeping is (I think) Covid. Covid produced a short but sweet burst in activity for ray keeping, and big fish keeping in general. As a side hustle I have imported Asian arowana and tank mates for 20 years, and I've seen demand for rays and big fish come and go repeatedly. But I have never seen a demand spike like occurred in the depths of Covid. With the government $$$ money and time on their hands stuck at home a lot of people either jumped into the big fish hobby or else indulged more. Now that we are out of Covid with a bit of an inflationary hang-over, I think a lot of people are jumping back out.

Will stingray keeping ever come roaring back to the glory days of 10-15 years ago? Given the changes in human demographics and the broader economy I doubt it. But I am sure there will be demand spikes in future. We seem to be in a bit of a lull now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fades&Feesh

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
What’s up DB junkie DB junkie ! Been years since we spoken haha. Still at it with Rays, ay? You still got that pond?
I’ve been out of freshwater for many years now, been into reefing for a good 8-10yrs now.
Any pics of your stuff?

Reactions: tlindsey

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
I'm pretty much stuck in the middle on this topic... Pure blood are definitely needed.

But I tend to like hybrids as well. Simply because some of them are absolutely gorgeous and their patterns are one of a kind.

In a perfect world I would love to have enough space to keep several different pureblood species and also a tankful of hybrids.

As far as the aquarium hobby goes for stingrays in particular... I believe there will always be hobbyists wanting to keep stingrays. There's a new generation of people born every year.

I think the key is making sure experienced hobbyists are willing to help and give them the direction they need.

... And my negative thoughts toward hybrids mostly comes from Asia. With the exception of the high-end breeders I would say there are a lot of breeders overseas who create hybrids calling them pure blood and definitely messing up the gene pool.

With imported wild caught stingrays slowly declining there is a strong possibility the pure bloods will eventually disappear from The hobby.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store