Gar bow hunting

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
Bow fishing really needs to be stopped. It's one thing to hunt Asian carp because they're invasive and the less of them the better but hunting our natives like gar and bowfin which in some places already have low populations is just plain idiotic. I don't condone those that practice bow fishing.

i don't care what anyone's opinion is on bow hunting. they can be for it or against it............but my issue with this post is that you only care if a certain species is taken with bowfishing.

i personally am ok with bowfishing as long as it's done legally and the fish taken can legally be taken with a bow. but if i wasn't ok with bowfishing, it would be across the board and not just a few fish that i care for, for whatever the reason

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Bowfishing was about the funnest thing I did related to either fishing or hunting... but yeah, I never liked wasting fish. I pretty much stopped once I no longer lived next to a Korean commune who was happy to take the 100lbs+ of fish we would bring back.. they ate everything.. carp and gar. We would eat carp when prepared right.. but one fish was around 30 lbs. So now its not worth the trip just to shoot one fish that'll feed you for a week or two.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
So you support bow fishing of carp but no other fish?

This is allowed to keep healthy populations of fish. Get the facts.
Then present them, I'm all ears if you have a good study or two.

And carp are invasive which I why I support getting rid of them. It's not personal likes, it's what's best for the environment.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
i don't care what anyone's opinion is on bow hunting. they can be for it or against it............but my issue with this post is that you only care if a certain species is taken with bowfishing.

i personally am ok with bowfishing as long as it's done legally and the fish taken can legally be taken with a bow. but if i wasn't ok with bowfishing, it would be across the board and not just a few fish that i care for, for whatever the reason
Don't know how many times I can post this but CARP ARE INVASIVE. SUCKERS AND GARS ARE NATIVE. Bow fishing gives an unfair advantage which should only be utilized for scientific purposes like removing an invasive fish.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
So you support bow fishing of carp but no other fish?

This is allowed to keep healthy populations of fish. Get the facts.
carp never have healthy populations...they are like rats or rabbits...overbreed and take over bodies of water...you cant throw a rock without hitting a carp in ANY of the waterways around me...its horrible. bowfishing is fine if the fish are being used or a population is out of control, but to waste fish just for the sport of shooting them, such as alligator gar which I know a lot of people shoot and leave, isn't right.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
Don't know how many times I can post this but CARP ARE INVASIVE. SUCKERS AND GARS ARE NATIVE. Bow fishing gives an unfair advantage which should only be utilized for scientific purposes like removing an invasive fish.

so it's not exactly bow fishing that you are against. you just don't want it used on the natives? gar and bowfins to be exact

which is fine, I don't care how you feel about it

I just find it funny to be like, ok you can bowfish, but don't do it with this and this species. that one though, have at it

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
please get some studies that bow fishing hurts native rough fish populations before you get all cocky and biased. The fisheries dept will thinks that you're just a nutty advocate for animal rights. I has never heard that bow fishing put a dent on any roughfish populations. Because most native roughfish species are seldom targeted by your average fishermen and they're seldom harvested that's why the rough fish species remains common.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
carp never have healthy populations...they are like rats or rabbits...overbreed and take over bodies of water...you cant throw a rock without hitting a carp in ANY of the waterways around me...its horrible. bowfishing is fine if the fish are being used or a population is out of control, but to waste fish just for the sport of shooting them, such as alligator gar which I know a lot of people shoot and leave, isn't right.
Never heard of anyone shoot an alligator gar and leave it to rot.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Never heard of anyone shoot an alligator gar and leave it to rot.
I have. Its a rush to them to hit a giant fish with an arrow, they don't want to eat it OR they shoot one to small for their tastes and leave that too.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Why, because I actually care for the lives of fish and don't want to see some redneck standing over a grazing shoal of suckers and shoot one through the spine? And I'd like to see some physical proof of NATURAL lakes that have never been stocked by humans having a masive die of of a species that's been living in it long before humans discovered it.
That's your problem, you're too biased to see the actual facts. And I don't think there was any natural lakes that is untouched by the humans nowadays.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store