Gar bow hunting

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I have. Its a rush to them to hit a giant fish with an arrow, they don't want to eat it OR they shoot one to small for their tastes and leave that too.
I've heard plenty of people that shot the alligator gars and kept them for eating but then again I've heard of ppl kept walleyes/pikes and wasted them.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I've heard plenty of people that shot the alligator gars and kept them for eating but then again I've heard of ppl kept walleyes/pikes and wasted them.
oh it happens with all forms of fishing, no doubt.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
carp never have healthy populations...they are like rats or rabbits...overbreed and take over bodies of water...you cant throw a rock without hitting a carp in ANY of the waterways around me...its horrible. bowfishing is fine if the fish are being used or a population is out of control, but to waste fish just for the sport of shooting them, such as alligator gar which I know a lot of people shoot and leave, isn't right.
That is pymatuning, carp are like 90% of the weight of the lake, including the water lol.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
the problem then isn't the technique used. it's people
when isn't it? I merely stated wasteful bowfishing is the only type im against. People will forever be the problem lol. Though, and bare with me here, I think theres more allure to shooting a moving target with a pointy stick at high speeds that there is to casting a line and reeling back in, and in that respect I feel theres a higher probability of wasteful fish harvesting as people just want to say they shot a fish.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
so it's not exactly bow fishing that you are against. you just don't want it used on the natives? gar and bowfins to be exact

which is fine, I don't care how you feel about it

I just find it funny to be like, ok you can bowfish, but don't do it with this and this species. that one though, have at it
Does sound kind of funny. I just don't like carp eating all the sucker and catfish eggs.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Most bowfishers here will either smoking and pickling suckers/buffaloes they shot. Some guys kept gar back straps for fish fry which it wasn't bad. The only thing they won't eat would be common carps.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
People will forever be the problem lol.
This, this, 1,000 times THIS. I guess killing a buffalo or two out if the water for food is one thing (even though I'm still not a fan), but it's those people who kill 12 of them and waste them that annoy me.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
when isn't it? I merely stated wasteful bowfishing is the only type im against. People will forever be the problem lol.
Bow fishing isn't only type that is wasteful. Ive seen bass/walleye fisherman will kill lot of rock bass or any fish species they don't like. Hell they will slit up the pike or muskellunge and let them go to die

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store