Gar bow hunting

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
This, this, 1,000 times THIS. I guess killing a buffalo or two out if the water for food is one thing (even though I'm still not a fan), but it's those people who kill 12 of them and waste them that annoy me.
so you won't have a problem if they killed 12 of carps to just waste them?

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
when isn't it? I merely stated wasteful bowfishing is the only type im against. People will forever be the problem lol. Though, and bare with me here, I think theres more allure to shooting a moving target with a pointy stick at high speeds that there is to casting a line and reeling back in, and in that respect I feel theres a higher probability of wasteful fish harvesting as people just want to say they shot a fish.
no I hear you. I wasn't trying to imply that wasn't your message. I agree with you

I don't know what the success rate is with bowfishing. only way i'd be against it is if more often then not, you injure the fish and fail to land it. then you have a fish with a bad wound. whereas if you lose it on a line and hook the fish has much better chance of recovering

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
so you won't have a problem if they killed 12 of carps to just waste them?
I'm thinking the divide between you and dives opinions here is you can't see the actual problem carp cause in this state. I don't know maybe you have a bad carp overpopulation as well there but believe me when I say you could kill 1000 carp every day for the next 6 months and not even dent the population in some waterways here. Like I said during spawning you can easily tell there are over 100,000 carp in sections of one local lake here...and that's just a 1 mile section of the lake...add the fact that dive doesn't like to see native roughs killed for food or otherwise and you get this argument you two seem to have on multiple threads lol.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
no I hear you. I wasn't trying to imply that wasn't your message. I agree with you

I don't know what the success rate is with bowfishing. only way i'd be against it is if more often then not, you injure the fish and fail to land it. then you have a fish with a bad wound. whereas if you lose it on a line and hook the fish has much better chance of recovering
I'm only assuming it depends on the skill of the guy with the bow. I've watched bowfishing youtube videos and most of the time if you hit the fish in any respect they seemed to be killed fairly quickly, whether the arrow stuck or not. These guys were walking a creek and getting carp, suckers and channel cats though so I imagine big fish like gar would have a higher wounding chance.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I'm thinking the divide between you and dives opinions here is you can't see the actual problem carp cause in this state. I don't know maybe you have a bad carp overpopulation as well there but believe me when I say you could kill 1000 carp every day for the next 6 months and not even dent the population in some waterways here. Like I said during spawning you can easily tell there are over 100,000 carp in sections of one local lake here...and that's just a 1 mile section of the lake...add the fact that dive doesn't like to see native roughs killed for food or otherwise and you get this argument you two seem to have on multiple threads lol.
Buffaloes are dirty common where I live at, and they can be bad as carps. We did a roughfish removal (traps or gillnets) and it still didn't put a dent on suckers/buffalo populations.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Buffaloes are dirty common where I live at, and they can be bad as carps. We did a roughfish removal (traps or gillnets) and it still didn't put a dent on suckers/buffalo populations.
ok, fair enough. in your state I'd more than advocate the removal of those species haha.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Like I said, native roughfish populations are pretty stable.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
theres not nearly as many near here, at least near me lol
Then go out and check them out during their annual spawning up in the creeks. You could be surprised.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store