im starting to consider reptiles. wich should i get snake or lizard

joel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
THE GARDEN STATE
i have owned a number of lizard and snake species. The most interesting i think are chameleons . If you are considering a larger species, Savanah monitors are nice. they are more docile then most monitor species. Or a blue tongue skink. i have a western hognose snake right now, by far the most interesting snake i've ever owned. They display a hood like a cobra. and if you really piss them off they will play dead. King snakes and rat snakes are great for beginners. King snakes are cannibals though so you can't put them with other snakes.

bosshawg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2005
columbus, oh
i had a mexican spiny tailed. they get nice size and are very tame if u handle them early mine loved for my grandmother to come in and talk to him. plus theyre omnivorious. i saw mine catch a fly out the air in his tank that was just crazy

cenecker

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Eternal, Impenetrable Darkness
i once had a green anole, i put it on a rose bush to bask in the sun and it ran away.
then i had a green iguana, i put it in the backyard with a reptile leash to bask in the sun and it too ran away.
then i had a pacman frog, most awesome frog ever. it got big, and i sold it to the lps.
one day I want to try a big monitor lizard, but dang if it runs away someone will get a fright.
Heres an idea...stop putting them outside.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
cenecker said:
Heres an idea...stop putting them outside.
Or switch to tortoises so that they run away real slow.

pete620

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2005
Ohio
Aimhigher38 said:
My buddy wasnt paying attention...he had 2 large savanah monitors and he was putting mice in the cage and one of the monitors tried to take a bite at my buddys forearm...Lucky..no serious damages...but its waiting for things to happen with such an aggressive reptile...thats my opinion though...and Im sure every indivual animal is different also

The monitor did not "attack" your friend, it was simply acting on an instictual feeding response. I would also question your friends knowledge of keeping monitor lizards if he feeds them in their enclosures. A large monitor is NOT a good reptile for a begining keeper. If you want a monitor look to the dwarf species, such as Varanus acanthurus. Of course, always reserch an animal BEFORE you get it.

cenecker

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Eternal, Impenetrable Darkness
I would also question your friends knowledge of keeping monitor lizards if he feeds them in their enclosures
AMEN...feeding large predatory lizards in thier cages is a great way to lose a finger.

Thomas_Hung

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2004
Moscow, Idaho
I have both (corn snake,bearded dragon) I would personaly recomend a snake as they are much easier to care for! Plus you dont have to mess around with crickets!! haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store