My new favorite tank. Courtesy of Rare Fish

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Update? And the big tank too? How's the odoes with the wolves? Did you move anyone yet or?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Helloween update......

Twas a few nights before Halloween, Al's house was a calm scene. Watching some football having some beers when the cracking infrostructure of my 300 became clear.......lol

The Tatf likes to dart at a few of his adversaries. He can snap his tail hard enough that I can hear him darting. Well his spats with the Jar were worse then normal. All 4 of the wolves are hovering mid water looking at the Odoe. Looking hard. The Tatf killed the Jar. Took entire tail off. Moved Tatf to bigger Tatf/Big Vatf tank. Following night one of the Iguaza swallowed a 8" Odoe. Puked it back up when I caught them. (Which made a great meal for Barny the eel) Added them to the same tank the T went to. Making that 8x3 stock up to 6 wolves (4 Iguaza, 1 Intermedius, 1 Aimara), 3 Atf (1 V, 2 Ts) 2 Masheer, a 2' Clown Knife, a few cats and a trio of Marbles. First night one of the Iguazas got a huge gash on the side, but since then things seemed to have calmed. Seems the 3 other Iguazas have returned the favor to the Aimara and things are currently neutral. This tank seems to have its ups and downs but has been calm since removing my largest Tatf - a TRUE monster. A menace to other tigers- shredding all I've tried to house with it. Now resides with a Pearl ray in a 180 with no other fish.

The 300 (8x2) is now crazy calm without the Tatf and Wolves. Vatf behaves. Odoe are happy, smaller intermedius is very happy.

IMG_8699.JPG

IMG_8702.JPG

IMG_8725.JPG

IMG_9199.JPG

IMG_8589.JPG

Reactions: moe214

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Some jaw shots of an Iggy......

IMG_8680.JPG

IMG_8682.JPG

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
This timid lil fellow was sold as a "Green Lac". Looks pretty Intermedius to me. Boy is this guy happy the Iggies are gone. He only came out to eat when they were in there. The Iggies ate his smaller counterpart back when they were 5-6".

IMG_8997.JPG

IMG_8999.JPG

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Few pics of a Vatf and Tatf side by side, well attempts at pics..... lol. I've mixed these fish on 2 ocasions now and T/V/G once, every time the Ts seem the aggressors.

The Tatf from these pics is the same fish as the small (and now worked over) 3rd Atf from the 8x3. Here's a short vid of the 8x3.

IMG_8734.JPG

IMG_8735.JPG

IMG_8736.JPG

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Well, things got hectic fast.. Sorry for the losses, the unfortunate part of the hobby. Hope the new arrangements don't end similar. The iguazas look bigger than the aimara, are they? Why do you think the aimara grow so slow? I couldn't tell the blunter head of the taft till the video lol. The vatf look nice and fat. The intermedius seems laid back compared to everyone else, similar to the other one? Just not scared maybe? How big is your other taft? Or you said monster because he's more aggressive? Hope everything's goes good in the long run.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I'm usually pretty good about judging when to move stuff but with everything going on with the rays here I've been super busy and got burnt this time.....

My Aimara have always grown slow (both of them), just aren't consistant eaters like the Iggies have been. The Iggies have grown much quicker then any other wolves I've ever kept. The hump on them seem to be getting more pronounced now that they're getting some size to them, but no surprise after seeing the larger one here (in the big tank) fill out. The hump looks just like Lucy (Lacerdae) and the Aimara. This is why I find it odd that the jaw experts call them Malas..... Both the Iggies, Intermedius and Aimara are all around a foot.

In the vid the larger Atf - one with the bad eye is the Vatf, the one with the longest dorsal fin is the alpha of the tank - my passive large Tatf, then the smaller guy is the Tatf bully from the 300 that picked on everyone in there and killed the Jar.

The largest Tatf (the terror) had to be removed from the tank in the video about a month ago. Wouldn't let dorsal fins grow at all on any silver fish. That fish is probably 16". Here's a pic of the nasty in his algae covered 180. He gets crazy when I clean it. Have seriously been contemplating adding it to the 750 but not sure how the Dorado or Armatus would handle it...... I wouldn't be surprised in this fish became the lone alpha even in that tank.

IMG_9049.JPG

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
And Yes, the intermedius are very laid back. I'd almost say a little mellow for the likes of the other Wolves (Iggie and Aimara). The one in the 8x3 may end up with the one in the 300 if eating gets flaky. Will likely add the pair of "Green Eyed Lacs" to these 2 once they get a little bigger - they aren't being very good growers either. Only about 4-5" on those guys.

Should update the other tank too..... The tank with the eels and Cuda got a trio of Tarpon added. More then likely these guys will be moving back to a 180 soon. The Cuda are getting big enough they appear to need a wider tank then the 18" they have now.

Toohard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2014
Where ever
Love the stories and pictures! The lacs look really cool with the humps starting to form. How about some 750 pics? Cant just tease us with a story.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I forgot to add last night! That with that jaw shot, you changed my mind, technically malas jaw folds are suppose to come together at some point, this one doesn't. But it isn't that U shape either, it's like an australis, leading me to think it's a new species that belongs to the lacerdae group. I also feel like I can make out 5 pores, not sure though, 3 are definitely clear. Just my thoughts. Of course a number of things we've talked about with these guys are possible. And maybe it's cause the aimaras come from a bit of a harsher environment? And for the atf, do taft have longer dorsal fins generally? Or that's a hierarchy thing with them? And as for adding the big guy to the 750, well I don't have any personal experience with them but aren't atf a little more sensitive then say a dorado? Or this is when smaller only? Not many raise them like you to these larger sizes. Maybe he'll be more peaceful in there though? More fish to spread any aggression, and a bigger area to reduce it some as well? Just my thoughts, of course you know your fish better than anyone else, but it can be a guessing game. And that's interesting to hear about the intermedius behavior. Sorry for all the questions, I learn a lot from your input every time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store