New Flowerhorn

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
I also don't think you need gravel. You should have ample space for bio bacteria to grow in the fx5 you have running on the tank. Instead of gravel go buy some bio media like Eheim substrat pro, matrix, bio max, even pot scrubbers, etc. No gravel makes it easier for you to clean his tank and get rid of any uneaten food. I run my flowerhorn tanks bare bottom.

Last edited:
Reactions: J0hnny69

J0hnny69

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Lol. No worries. GSR red pellets are good too. Just a bit hyped and overpriced. After your done with the bottle just get him a good brand of pellets like NLS. He is fine with just pellets. You can give him treats once in a while if you'd like. No live foods. For example... maybe when your thawing out some shrimp for dinner you can give him a little taste. It isn't needed though. Take care of him and keep us updated. I think he's gonna be a beauty!

Thanks for all the tips!

Absolutely! I'll keep u guys updated!

J0hnny69

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
I also don't think you need gravel. You should have ample space for bio bacteria to grow in the fx5 you have running on the tank. Instead of gravel go buy some bio media like Eheim substrat pro, matrix, bio max, even pot scrubbers, etc. No gravel makes it easier for you to clean his tank and get rid of any uneaten food. I run my flowerhorn tanks bare bottom.

I'm not sure what type of medias I have in the fx5 cuz I bought from a friend that had it running for like a year. I just filled up my tank and ran the filter and let it sit for about a week before I put any fishes in. I didn't touch anything inside the filter yet. I got my water tested twice and it came out good. Should I be concern about the medias/stuff inside my filter since it was previously ran for like a year??

Thanks

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
I'm not sure what type of medias I have in the fx5 cuz I bought from a friend that had it running for like a year. I just filled up my tank and ran the filter and let it sit for about a week before I put any fishes in. I didn't touch anything inside the filter yet. I got my water tested twice and it came out good. Should I be concern about the medias/stuff inside my filter since it was previously ran for like a year??

Thanks
You should be good. I would open it up just to check the condition and see what's inside. Rinse out the canister itself and the sponges plus whatever biomedia in a bucket of tank water during your next water change. I'm kinda interested to find out what's inside. It's like opening a present. Lol!

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Plus it will keep him busy digging all day :)
Yeah... It gives him something to do. But I prefer bare bottom. For the ease of cleaning. I don't like having to vacuum the tank and you can never get it as clean as a bare bottom. Pros and cons to gravel vs. bare bottom. I have heard of instances where a flowerhorn has accidentally swallowed a piece of gravel and got blockages. Though it has never happened to me in a gravel bottom tank. If you want to give them something to play with you can throw in some bio rings.

Last edited:

J0hnny69

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
You should be good. I would open it up just to check the condition and see what's inside. Rinse out the canister itself and the sponges plus whatever biomedia in a bucket of tank water during your next water change. I'm kinda interested to find out what's inside. It's like opening a present. Lol!
Lol ok thanks.

MonsterFishCreeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2015
Md
You need to check your water parameters as well. Did the filter come off a currently running tank? If not there's no BB in there an you probably have ammonia and nitrites.

J0hnny69

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
You need to check your water parameters as well. Did the filter come off a currently running tank? If not there's no BB in there an you probably have ammonia and nitrites.
Yea it was off a running tank. I got my water tested for PH,nitrate,nitrite,and ammonia everything is good so far.

J0hnny69

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Hey guys!
Just for my future knowledge, what's the recommended water parameters for Flowerhorns in general?

I usually go to my LFS to get my water tested, but I'm thinking of buying a master test kit for myself testing at home.

Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store