Pseudotropheus saulosi in a 4' long shallow tank ?

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
For a single species I would do 1m:14f and for 2 species I would do 1m:7f of each. I would choose the rusties over the acei because they are smaller and would be a better fit with the shallow tank.

Reactions: hazmat

hazmat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2019
India
For a single species I would do 1m:14f and for 2 species I would do 1m:7f of each. I would choose the rusties over the acei because they are smaller and would be a better fit with the shallow tank.
Thank you for the suggestions, so Yellow labs and Rusties it is.

Would it be possible to sex the Yellow lab and Rusties at 2.5" size ? Will it be a problem if I end up with more males than females ? I'm asking because, the Yellow labs seem to be run of the mill fish here in India and the lackluster attitude of the retailers suggest, if they would care enough or were competent enough to meet my requirement about the sex ratio.

Cheers.

qldmick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2016
Demasoni and Maingano both go well Yellows color wise, If you can find them.
When I was breeding Yellows I found them easy to vent sex once they've breed but 2.5" is a fairly decent size.
Its usually the case though to buy more than what you want and move on excess males once identified.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Vendors who claim to sell sexed juveniles are suspect. I have never personally found labs easy to sex, but by 2.5" in size females tend to be breeding already...from about 1.5" in size for the labs. What we do is buy extra unsexed juveniles and rehome extra males if necessary as they mature, as qldmick suggested. The labs may tolerate extra males in the tank, and the rusties may not.

Reactions: hazmat and Milingu

hazmat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2019
India
Thanks qldmick and DJRansome for the suggestions. Considering all the suggestions and the limited water volume of the tank, I'm thinking of starting with a species only aquarium with either yellow lab juveniles or the C.saulosi, if I manage to find them. I'm thinking about starting with 16 juveniles and I will rehome the extra males with time. Will keep you guys posted.

qldmick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2016
If you can find the Saulosi it would be worth it, these were my first Malawi cichlids I ever kept. Great for a species only tank. They're not that rare in Australia but the problem is most lines are not pure these days and we cannot just import more.

Joshuakahan

Banned
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Mate, very pleased to know that P.saulosi is doable, shame about the availability though. Will check with some local fish stores and report back. Could you give me some alternate stocking recommendations too ? Appreciate your help with this.
Jalo reef or exasperatus would be cool IMO

hazmat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2019
India
Hi, got some updates.

I got the tank made from a LFS. Only after a couple of days, did I notice that the seam between the bottom glass panel and the upright panels have lot of bubbles and shoddy silicone work in the corners. I spoke with the tank maker and he assured me that this shouldn't be a cause for any concern. I'm planning to get it resealed anyway, before I put in any hardscape.

Seam 1.JPG

Seam 2.JPG

The steel stand is getting fabricated and it should be ready by tomorrow. I have went 1.5" square hollow sections for both the horizontal and vertical members.

As for the C.saulosi, I happened to find someone who bred C.saulosi among various other cichlids, located about 50 miles from my place. I went to his farm yesterday and he had these large concrete tanks out in the open for stocking the parents and raising the fry. The C.saulosi parents were kept in a separate tank without other species, but the growout tank had juveniles from various other species. I could only get my group of juvies from this tank. Currently the fish are in a 15 gallon tank and they look quite different from the photos, I see on the internet of the fish. There is faint barring present in my whole group and the number of vertical bars also seem suspect.

Could fellow members ascertain from the photos and videos if they are P.saulosi or some hybrid ?

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG6.JPG

Video link 1 : https://streamable.com/uv6pbj
Video link 2 : https://streamable.com/t0s8k2

Reactions: Joshuakahan

Joshuakahan

Banned
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Hi, got some updates.

I got the tank made from a LFS. Only after a couple of days, did I notice that the seam between the bottom glass panel and the upright panels have lot of bubbles and shoddy silicone work in the corners. I spoke with the tank maker and he assured me that this shouldn't be a cause for any concern. I'm planning to get it resealed anyway, before I put in any hardscape.

View attachment 1524431

View attachment 1524432

The steel stand is getting fabricated and it should be ready by tomorrow. I have went 1.5" square hollow sections for both the horizontal and vertical members.

As for the C.saulosi, I happened to find someone who bred C.saulosi among various other cichlids, located about 50 miles from my place. I went to his farm yesterday and he had these large concrete tanks out in the open for stocking the parents and raising the fry. The C.saulosi parents were kept in a separate tank without other species, but the growout tank had juveniles from various other species. I could only get my group of juvies from this tank. Currently the fish are in a 15 gallon tank and they look quite different from the photos, I see on the internet of the fish. There is faint barring present in my whole group and the number of vertical bars also seem suspect.

Could fellow members ascertain from the photos and videos if they are P.saulosi or some hybrid ?

View attachment 1524433View attachment 1524434View attachment 1524435View attachment 1524436View attachment 1524439View attachment 1524440

Video link 1 : https://streamable.com/uv6pbj
Video link 2 : https://streamable.com/t0s8k2
Very cool!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store