Puffer Question

CAPOREGIME

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2005
Somewhere???
My first post. Whats up? (hope this is the right section)
Me and my buddy have a joint venture on a Fahaka Puffer. Just bought him yesterday. The question is about a certain behaviour of the fish. He seems to be burying himself in the gravel with just his head poking out. Is this normal Fahaka behaviour, for hunting and what not, or is it something we should worry about?
Thanks alot guys and gals...

kentobizmol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
san jose, CA
never heard of that; unless it's a spiny eel or oscar.

but i know this; don't scoop up your pufferfish with a net, unstead scoop it up with a bucket or smoething that doesn't let the pufferfish interact with air.
since if pufferfish ouff up, when it's outta dA tank and if it ingests air, it will not be able to swim well.

yourmylunch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2005
FL
this is normal behavior congrats on a happy puffer

they wait like that for their prey and pounce on it throw some shrimp in there and watch

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Hiya and welcome caporegime, welcome to MFK, I have come across pictures of young puffers doing this so I would guess it is normal.

RobD23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2005
The Rex
:thumbsup: Well i hope you guys are right because although he has eaten the two knife fish i had in my tank with him and proved he's no push over to the redtail wolffish he continues to hide.

ps... whats the most healthy food for a fahaka puffer besides krill since he doesn't seem to like krill to much

clare

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2005
Grimsby, England
Fahaka puffers are renouned for being absolute killers with anything in their tank.They should be kept in a species tank without even plecos.Burying is natural but usually lessens with age.Sand substrate is always better with puffers as when they eat they often ingest substrate and sand passes through the gills better.Although large puffers seem to have less problems with overgrowing teeth they still need shelled foods.Try snails when young,when older cockle and prawn in and out of shell,clams in shell and mussel.Mussel in shell sometimes causes a reaction and avoid fish,they cannot digest properly.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
You might want to watch the behavior of that wolf fish towards your puffer. The wolf is a fast, agile and aggressive predator.. while the Puffer is much the opposite.. He is a clumsy, opportunistic predator. The burying of himself could be a sign of stress, and he is indeed hiding from your wolf. Make sure he has no bite marks on him. I tried keeping my juvie puffer with a buttikoferi, thinking they would be good tankmates. The 1" Butti beat the crap out of the 4" Fahaka..

Good luck!

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
I "tried" to keep the Butti with him, but he picked on the Fahaka..

The Fahaka tank is now fully stocked.. but people keep telling me sooner or later that will change.. Still waiting. :)

flowerfan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 10, 2005
my 14" red devil and my 3" dovil were noth picked on the new comer( my new 7" fahaka), few days later my dovil missed portion of its gill and few week later my 14" red devil almost got kill util I couldn't take it any more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store