Puffer Question

RobD23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2005
The Rex
Look i've had two fahaka puffers and the only way to bring them down it by desease because they are probly the toughest fish i've ever had...When i first got my puffer he was two inches and i had a 12'' florida gar....the puffer attacked my florida gar to the point where the gar had very little fins left...now the same is happening with my new 2'' puffer and my 5'' redtail wolf... the wolf now hides from the puffer but this puffer has left it alone now...i guess it took out all it's agrivation on the two clown knives that it recently ate :eek: ...so like i said given alot of room pound for pound nothing can touch a Fahaka puffer :naughty:

clare

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2005
Grimsby, England
A group of piranha perhaps,large puffers take no prisoners and dont just bite through flesh but bone as well.Ever tried cracking the front claws(not legs) of a large crab?A full grown fahaka can get through them in a short while and our full grown mbu takes one bite only.

flowerfan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 10, 2005
I would say the piranh should have the upper hand coz they are faster and they eat fish

clare

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2005
Grimsby, England
Just because large puffer fish look slow dont assume they are.They dont usually use their tails as anything other than a rudder but when they are extended and you see their size and they give one flick you will see how fast they can move.With our mbu I am more wary of getting my arm caught by his tail than being bitten.If he flicks like he can,my arm is broken.

RobD23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2005
The Rex
clare said:
Just because large puffer fish look slow dont assume they are.They dont usually use their tails as anything other than a rudder but when they are extended and you see their size and they give one flick you will see how fast they can move.With our mbu I am more wary of getting my arm caught by his tail than being bitten.If he flicks like he can,my arm is broken.

how big is your mbu puffer if your afraid of it's tail it much be huge...and do you have pics of it

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I've been interested in puffers as of late. I just keep hearing that they should be kept alone or in a species tank with just a few of them. And they need some salt in their water. Can anyone else lend some advice before I make a purchase of one of these oddballs?

RobD23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2005
The Rex
benzjamin13 said:
I've been interested in puffers as of late. I just keep hearing that they should be kept alone or in a species tank with just a few of them. And they need some salt in their water. Can anyone else lend some advice before I make a purchase of one of these oddballs?

I've had a Fahaka puffer for about six months and i've noticed they are only agressive towards fish that are bigger then they are...or fish that are already dieing. Fahakas dont' need salt water, and you can feed them any type of shrimp, they also eat rosey red minows and shell fish like snails, crabs and crestations. One more thing to know about them is that they can easily be put on a schedule when they are by themselves in a tank but when other fish are introduced they begin to act very different.

flowerfan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 10, 2005
yes, I agree with you too, but my fahaka will kill small fish too if he can catch, that's how my small dovill got some of his gill gone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store