Stocking A 75gallon tank

Joshuakahan

Banned
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Then I would start with something easier, but still very colorful and fun. I would get a group of around 7-10 yellow labs and 7-10 acei or maybe mainganos. The blue and yellow contrast would look really nice and they’re relatively inexpensive, peaceful, colorful and interesting. You could make a nice scape with lots of rock work and Argonite sand . I’d also add a small group of 3-4 S. Petricola, that would help keep the fry under control unless you do an all male tank.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
And doesnt the lab eat the demasonis babies and demasonies eat the labs babies?
I highly doubt it, but if that is a serious concern, you could always just stick with one species (ie, yellow lab colony, demasoni colony, Saulosi colony, bumblebee colony, etc.).

Also, you could do a really cool Tanganyikan setup, there are plenty of Tanganyikan cichlids that would easily fit in a 75, heck, you could get many of them in 40 gallons above. There is like Julidochromis, Fairy cichlids, compressiceps, etc. A few people have some shell dweller setups among others, I forgot who, but maybe they could comment. The only downside to these types of African cichlids is that there isn't a whole lot of color, a few have color. But they make up for the lack of color with beautiful patterns. So if you are looking for color, I would go with an Mbuna colony or possibly some Peacocks. Peacocks are smaller than Haps but still give a ton of color (admittedly, probably more color than your average Hap). If you don't mind less color but enjoy patterns, Tangs are your best bet.

hancotip

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2024
norway
Its not a consern but you said that i could have catfish to control the fry, and can the mbunas take guppys
I have a breeding tank

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Its not a consern but you said that i could have catfish to control the fry, and can the mbunas take guppys
I have a breeding tank
Guppies and Mbunas are a no no unless you want no more Guppies. They would most likely eat both the fry and the adults themselves, or at least tear them up, that especially goes for the more aggressive species.

As for catfish, you could easily do a synodontis species. My personal favorites are Featherfin Squeakers and Angel Synos but there are plenty of other really cool ones out there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store