Houston, Texas

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Ok thanks for the help
What kinds of fish do you have?
I have Discus, a single Geophagus Redhead Tapajos, Striped Raphael Catfish, Gouramis, Platies (for dithers), Dwarf Acaras, and a Royal Loricariid. So primarily American fish except for the Gouramis. lol.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
If you want some good info on African cichlids, check out CichlidBros' and TazawaTanks' youtube channels. One of the brothers on CichlidBros has a minor obsession with African cichlids and keeps Mbunas and Predator Haps (and maybe more if I remember correctly). Zenzo at TazawaTanks keeps all kinds of different fish but he has a few African cichlid tanks that are really great.

Also, KGTropicals has some good info on African cichlids, they mostly focus on American cichlids and other kinds of fish, but they have some good info on Africans as well. John has an amazing Mbuna scape that he made, it was great inspiration for decorating my own tank.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I’ll just toss out that mbuna are a primarily vegetarian fish. All they will get out of eating guppies is health problems.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
What should i feed them with?
Mbuna are mostly herbivores and too much protein can cause bloat. I use a combo of Ron’s juvi pellets, Nori and algae wafers. Yes the mbuna will eat the fry but usually a few will live and the different mbuna will crossbreed. So the catfish will significantly reduce the fry that live. If you do this, you don’t want to sell any fry either since they could be hybrids. Basically nothing leaves your tank. No you definitely don’t want to feed them guppies or guppy fry

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store