Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
@Friller Yes, indeed lol. Large fish, actually very close to a grouper in the family tree which is cool. I too have one coming. 20 degrees Celsius is the sweet spot, maybe a little lower some say. Have you owned them? Seems you have experience. My favorite fish. Trying to learn as much as I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
I've never owned one personally, My uncle used to keep one in a pond in his backyard back when I was a kid and I've done stuff through ANGFA with them.
Don't have the tank/pond space for one ATM but will 100% get one one day. Would love a mary or another trout cod if i could get them.
Swum with clarence cod last month actually.

However I did use to own the two only legally owned trout cod in NSW, and potentially the world. Awesome fish. Haven't been pissed that bad when I lost a fish but I was fuming when these fellas died. Don't know if you heard about the Black summer bushfires, but basically where I live was very close to becoming ash. Powerlines burnt down and bam fishroom got to 43 Room temp. Worst bit was I was away at the time. When I left the fires were several hundred Kms away but such is life.

If you know what strain of murray you got then that will determine temps. QLD lowland strains can handle much higher temps then your MDB type strains. VIC strains are gonna be a bit more how you going with the temps.

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
The good old days, doubt we will ever see them this size again.
The Cod population got absolutely raped back then. My grandfather used to tell stories of getting the aboriginal people to take them to the spots and they would pull several 1.5m+ fish in a night.

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
Ogertron3000 Ogertron3000 There are several conservation projects in NSW and other places for Cod. Wes said he gets/gotten his from one of these redistribution centers for cod. Maybe I’m naive but I think there could be one that size. But it’s takes nearly 80 years plus to grow that size. That photo is an iconic photo, absolutely love it.

Friller2009 Friller2009 That’s absolutely incredible to hear. I don’t doubt it either. If you look there are a few photos on Google of aboriginal people with these monster sized cod.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
If you know what strain of murray you got then that will determine temps. QLD lowland strains can handle much higher temps then your MDB type strains. VIC strains are gonna be a bit more how you going with the temps.
This piece of info might be most crucial for my success or failure here in Florida. But it seems from Mike's words, Wes might not know which geographic strain he's got, since it is from a REdistribution center, not an original location.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
The Cod population got absolutely raped back then. My grandfather used to tell stories of getting the aboriginal people to take them to the spots and they would pull several 1.5m+ fish in a night.
When you think about it its crazy how they were so common at that size, now if someone caught a 1.5mtr cod it would be on the news.

Ogertron3000 Ogertron3000 There are several conservation projects in NSW and other places for Cod. Wes said he gets/gotten his from one of these redistribution centers for cod. Maybe I’m naive but I think there could be one that size. But it’s takes nearly 80 years plus to grow that size. That photo is an iconic photo, absolutely love it.

Friller2009 Friller2009 That’s absolutely incredible to hear. I don’t doubt it either. If you look there are a few photos on Google of aboriginal people with these monster sized cod.
I think the preservation projects will work to a degree at least keeping a wild population going but the massive ones are a thing of the past, if it takes 80 years to get to so big even thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter will be long gone by the time his hits that size. Probably back when the massive ones were common they didnt have to deal with introduced predators , pollution etc. either.
The one in the pic must have been huge even by the standards of the old days, photography wasnt cheap or easy back then so it must have been an unusual thing or they wouldnt have bothered taking a photo.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Ogertron3000 Ogertron3000 100% No 6ft cod anymore. We've screwed them over far too much. Removing snags was the start of it, then irrigation, then red fin and then the nail in the coffin was carp.

surfermike915 surfermike915 The conservation projects work somewhat, but I am confident in saying that I will not see a wild 6ft cod in my life time. Captive is different. I've seen a 6ft cod before. That thing could have swallowed most kids without a second thought, even some adults!

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
This piece of info might be most crucial for my success or failure here in Florida. But it seems from Mike's words, Wes might not know which geographic strain he's got, since it is from a REdistribution center, not an original location.
I feel like your best bet would be to put it outside. If you've got that wels and those sturgeon it should be alright if your temps don't get too high. If there's enough space for micro climates then that'd work well. They tend to stick to the bottom of waterholes where it is the coldest.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store