Two 17"-18" Murray cods, 2 year old

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
Cod are pretty easy to produce in hatcherys. Cod can handle the higher temps but can't live in them. Its better to stay around 20-24C.
100% add salt. Sorry assumed you already were running salt in the tank. The murray is pretty salty, I use murray river salt in my cooking
What salt do you use? And what dosage? It’s very interesting about how they live in near brackish water. I appreciate the knowledge. I guess that’s why there’s so few true freshwater fish down under. The Murray Cod is still a true river fish, just can handle differentiating salt content dependent on where it is in the river.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
100% add salt. Sorry assumed you already were running salt in the tank. The murray is pretty salty, I use murray river salt in my cooking.
Thank you much for this. Are other rivers where the cod lives salty? Murray river and its basin is a rather small part of their overall habitat, e.g., are the rivers of Queensland salty?

Reactions: surfermike915

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
From what I've found, the Murray-Darling drainage basin is connected to many other rivers such as the Baloone and the Condamine River. They are found in Queensland yes, but in connected rivers that fall under the Murray-Darling river basin. But obviously there is underground salt that leeches into the river, and in recent years has drastically raised the Murray's salinity. Maybe the underground salt deposits are only in South Eastern Australia. I have read that adding crushed coral/aragonite may aid in the buffering of the water, making it harder how the Cod likes it. This is what I do for my Bumblebee Grouper. He is in rather low salinity for a grouper, but because of the hardness, it helps a lot, although rather soon he will be in a higher salinity system. It looks like Vik and I may need to keep our guys in specialized systems, which I was actually planning on in the first place. I have some friends in Australia who are anglers so I'll dig deeper for an answer.
mike

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Thank you much for this. Are other rivers where the cod lives salty? Murray river and its basin is a rather small part of their overall habitat, e.g., are the rivers of Queensland salty?
Where cod occur yes. Queensland is actually quite large with several large drainage basins.
Most australian rivers are salty, but some more so than others

What salt do you use? And what dosage? It’s very interesting about how they live in near brackish water. I appreciate the knowledge. I guess that’s why there’s so few true freshwater fish down under. The Murray Cod is still a true river fish, just can handle differentiating salt content dependent on where it is in the river.
They're not really a true freshwater fish if you really do a deep genetic dive (Unmack's wok), but they are a riverine fish.
It's really just Saratoga and Salamanderfish.
Lungfish aren't even fish

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store