Two 17"-18" Murray cods, 2 year old

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Friller2009 Friller2009 That 25K gal where the wels and sturgeon reside we are able to keep no higher than ~82F / 28C by fan-cooling the water (otherwise it'd be around 86-88F / 30-31C). But the 25K is rubber lined, so we can't have prickly fish like the cod on liner. Will have to plan to build a hard wall exhibit then.

During the cooler season our water is ~72F naturally, say Jan-Mar. May-Sept ~85-90F (82F with fan-cooling). And in between in spring and autumn.

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Friller2009 Friller2009 That 25K gal where the wels and sturgeon reside we are able to keep Tno higher than ~82F / 28C by fan-cooling the water (otherwise it'd be around 86-88F / 30-31C). But the 25K is rubber lined, so we can't have prickly fish like the cod on liner. Will have to plan to build a hard wall exhibit then.

During the cooler season our water is ~72F naturally, say Jan-Mar. May-Sept ~85-90F (82F with fan-cooling). And in between in spring and autumn.
Fair enough. I've seen cod kept in liner ponds before. I wasn't saying put a cod in that tank. I wouldn't think him and your wels would get along to well..
Was just suggesting if your temp stayed down you could try outdoors.
They really are the kind of fish that you need a cooler come summer, but you should be fine in winter.

I'm not sure what kind of reintroduction place wes would have imported them from, I would've assumed they would just be coming from a hatchery like ausyfish for dams/aquaponic style jobs. If you could ask wes where he got them from and maybe pm me if wes doesn't want that info public I could sort you out with localities.

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
Fair enough. I've seen cod kept in liner ponds before. I wasn't saying put a cod in that tank. I wouldn't think him and your wels would get along to well..
Was just suggesting if your temp stayed down you could try outdoors.
They really are the kind of fish that you need a cooler come summer, but you should be fine in winter.

I'm not sure what kind of reintroduction place wes would have imported them from, I would've assumed they would just be coming from a hatchery like ausyfish for dams/aquaponic style jobs. If you could ask wes where he got them from and maybe pm me if wes doesn't want that info public I could sort you out with localities.
Even 82 still
May be a little too warm. By reintroduction it’s a hatchery that is meant to breed cod in large numbers and release them. He’s imported from
Farms too. Not sure about locale tho

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Even 82 still
May be a little too warm. By reintroduction it’s a hatchery that is meant to breed cod in large numbers and release them. He’s imported from
Farms too. Not sure about locale tho
Where did i say 82 was good? 82 would kill a cod. I was saying if his outdoor temps were good then that would work but his temps aren't right.

Doesn't make sense why a proper reintroduction place would be shipping cod overseas.
There isn't too many solely murray cod hatcheries. It's mostly just aquaculture places we're more focused on trout cod and clarence cod. Murray cod are vulnerable now.

I was saying to Vic if he could get in touch with wes locale wise then i can sort stuff out over here to help

• Love

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
Where did i say 82 was good? 82 would kill a cod. I was saying if his outdoor temps were good then that would work but his temps aren't right.

Doesn't make sense why a proper reintroduction place would be shipping cod overseas.
There isn't too many solely murray cod hatcheries. It's mostly just aquaculture places we're more focused on trout cod and clarence cod. Murray cod are vulnerable now.

I was saying to Vic if he could get in touch with wes locale wise then i can sort stuff out over here to help
Didn’t say you said 82 was good, did I perhaps?
Now yes there are mostly projects of restoration of populations for Clarence and trout cod but Murray cod were very vunerable in in the years leading up to the 90’s. Some say it’s not even 10% of what the population used to be before euro settlement. So nah, I didn’t say 82 was good, I said that’d be too warm in agreement with Vik that he’d need a specialized environment to keep the cod happy into adult hood. 👌

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Wes says the cod are from a Taiwan farmer, highly educated and experienced. The farmer says 12-30C = 54-86F is ok! Add salt - helps for some reason. They get ich easily. That's all the comments from the farmer I got.

Friller2009 Friller2009

Reactions: Friller2009

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
I assumed they were farm raised. Doubted they were from Au. I talked to a few guys who have 18” plus specimens but Ich was never brought up. How much salt are we talking. Trial and error sucks on such expensive fish lol. My guy is 7” maybe even 8” now. Possibly raising temp to 81 would help?? But they aren’t meant to survive in 80 degree plus temps for very long. Hopefully we can figure this out as Murray keepers. .......

Found this after some digging around:

Unlike many freshwater fish, Murray cod are highly tolerant of salt due to the raised salinity levels they sometimes experience in the lowland reaches of the Murray-Darling Basin during extreme drought. Indeed, common sea salt is a useful tool for keeping Murray cod in tanks, a salinity of 2 grams per litre improves health and keeps most pathogens ("diseases") at bay. Ensure, however, that the sea salt used is free of additives such as iodine and free flow agent.

Caution, and ideally, quarantine procedures, should be used to ensure that feeder fish do not introduce diseases to the tank. With soft skin, Murray cod can be susceptible to white-spot or "ich" and fungal skin infections. At a minimum, disinfect all live food for 1 hour in a 10 gram per liter salt solution before feeding.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
I assumed they were farm raised. Doubted they were from Au....
I run all my tanks with salt in them. Majority of Australian fish (except lungfish and saratoga) are very recent conversion to fresh, in fact many if not majority still go out to salt.

Wes says the cod are from a Taiwan farmer....
Cod are pretty easy to produce in hatcheries. Cod can handle the higher temps but can't live in them. Its better to stay around 20-24C.
100% add salt. Sorry assumed you already were running salt in the tank. The murray is pretty salty, I use murray river salt in my cooking.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store