Edit; jjohnwm jjohnwm Wes is Rare fish on MFK vendor forum

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Edit; jjohnwm jjohnwm Wes is Rare fish on MFK vendor forum
Thanks! That's a step...but he has only posted once this year, so he doesn't seem to visit much. Do you folks just contact him via PM on here? What's his company actually called?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
jjohnwm jjohnwm ahh im just yankin ur chain man… i know uve been lookin for one in ur neck of the woods. Grass is always greener they say lol… best way to contact Wes at RareFish is to email him at amazonaq@gmail.com . As this forum has kinda died down over the years hes moved to emailing stock lists directly to customers and retail stores. I just recently requested to be added myself a cple weeks ago. Had to “get with the times” haha. Used to be just patiently wait for a list to show up here on MFK. Sadly facebook and instagram are better for business these days. Wes always dealt with email sales even from here which i kind of appreciate. He’ll always get back to you when the time comes. Great guy to do business with.

Plenty of candidates id like to order as well. im having a hard time being “responsible” and not spending money on lol 🤦‍♂️💀

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Thanks, Russ, although I just snooped around and found some small meriodionalis wild-form 7-inchers for $75...and an albino that size for $1250! :WHOA:

Hah! Fat chance! :ROFL: I'll still look into the importation issues, but...

I am definitely going to sign up for that mailing list as well, but don't see myself paying any 4-figure prices for a single fish anytime soon. Not responsible...just cheap...:)

Maybe a wild-form will scratch the itch...or there's always those dang goldfish...:)

Reactions: wednesday13

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Thanks, Russ, although I just snooped around and found some small meriodionalis wild-form 7-inchers for $75...and an albino that size for $1250! :WHOA:

Hah! Fat chance! :ROFL: I'll still look into the importation issues, but...

I am definitely going to sign up for that mailing list as well, but don't see myself paying any 4-figure prices for a single fish anytime soon. Not responsible...just cheap...:)

Maybe a wild-form will scratch the itch...or there's always those dang goldfish...:)

Every true MFK has gold fish… even if its just survived feeders, have a few kickin here also lol… Albino meriodionalis should run ya half that price as well. Cple vendors charging double like uve seen tho. “Honest” price for small ones has always been $500-650 range since the 1st us imports. Usually goes the other way and prices drop in later years.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you, Russ. I was waiting for Wes' lists on here too wondering what happened - nothing in 6 months.

Vince, much, much appreciated video on the biggest meridionalis we've ever seen!

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Sittin around 25”-26”… finally stretched out some… still just a jiblet tho 😂💀
Awesome. I've been on a color morph kick and that meridionalis is gorgeous. I'm surprised though I would've thought it would've been bigger than 25-26" after 7 years. Starting at 5 inches and reaching 21-22 after 6 years if the growth was linear, that's 2.83" a year approx. I'm assuming it wasn't and that it had growth spurts off and on and it sounds like it may be having one now putting on 5 inches in one year. As i've been saying a lot recently I wish I would've scooped one up when Wes had some. I enjoyed the thread and hope to see more updates.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Awesome. I've been on a color morph kick and that meridionalis is gorgeous. I'm surprised though I would've thought it would've been bigger than 25-26" after 7 years. Starting at 5 inches and reaching 21-22 after 6 years if the growth was linear, that's 2.83" a year approx. I'm assuming it wasn't and that it had growth spurts off and on and it sounds like it may be having one now putting on 5 inches in one year. As i've been saying a lot recently I wish I would've scooped one up when Wes had some. I enjoyed the thread and hope to see more updates.
Thank you 💀🤙…IMO… thats why the price was always more on these guys compared to S. Glanis… a pint sized more manageable fish that more people can realistically house. Back when, i paid double for him as a “backup” of my original S. glanis… The price some vendors are charging now is absolutely ridiculous tho… really hope the “hype” on wels species has died down enough to keep this species safe from laws. Largest reported in captivity is only around a meter and it was imported around 30” already. Wes def. picked me a good one yrs ago. Hes got some great and odd coloration on his face/head hes had since i got it. Much more white than most the pure gold ones i see offered these days. Im content with its small stature… will never outgrow the 650g hes in. And again, hope his size after all these yrs shows they stay small enough to be off the radar… i still debate bumping him down into smaller quarters since it can’t be housed with other fish. Ive tried a few times over the yrs will ill results.
You are correct on the growth also… spurts every so often in typical cat fashion.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I don't know, Wels type catfish have been hyped for a while now and deservedly so they're pretty cool cats. I am really happy to hear these guys stay to a more manageable size but disappointed it'd have to be a solo fish. Can I ask what have you tried to house him with and was the issue aggression or predation?

I had a Ompok Pabo from Wes recently. Awesome fish but it wasn't in the cards for me. First one became a meal for my Trachycorystes. Weird too as the Trachy's leave some fish alone but predate others. The Ompok was 12" much larger and girthier than a Tachysurus ussuriensis which is maybe 10" and streamlined and lean very much more noshable but the Ompok was their munchie of choice. So, I bought another put it in with my 2 Pac-Mans who also seem to have their own predilections for prey who apparently also thought a Ompok would make for a nice snack. These fish which had only shown interest in eating my Metynnis Maculatus and Fasciatus until then but for some reason ignored my Ossubtus xinguense(again knock on wood) also decided the Ompok looked delicious. So, I've been considering an Albino Plotosus canius which if I get it will be kept far from Trachys and Pac Mans.

Forgive my rant, I run off at the mouth my train of thought which can be random.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store